24 hrs in Guilin


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Avoiding Thunder cloudsAvoiding Thunder cloudsAvoiding Thunder clouds

Thats a China Eastern Wing.
Luxury of two flights from Shangri La to Kumning through to Guilin saved our sanity but not our pockets, but it was worth it saving 15 hrs by bus and 11 hours by train compared to 3 hrs it took us. Avoiding the thunder clouds and turbulence the only pitfalls of the journey.
A massive difference in temperature, 35C in Guilin from 14C in Shangri La. No electric blankets in the Flowers YH! We arrived late and toured the city the next day before travelling by bus to Yangshou 1.5hrs south of Guilin. Main purpose of staying in Guilin was to book and buy a train ticket to Shenzen(half hour outside Hong Kong,our last stop in China.) Up at 6am to queue for a ticket...success.
We spent our first hour on the number 2 bus, I love buses, so much so I decided to stay on till the end and then return to our destination,the Folded Brocade Hill...actually I was lost but it's a great way to get to know cities...and the locals, and it wasn't the first time!
It's so great to keep getting such contrasts of landscapes,people and climate in one country. Guilin is 15 million large but doesn't feel that way. The Limestone Karsts which stick out as soon as you land are the stars in Guilin as well as the Li River which is the cleanest I've seen.
We climbed a couple of these Karsts, then walked along the Li River then lunch at a KFC, sorry but it was good. Then some retail therapy for you know who... back to the Youth Hostel for a beer and chill before our 10.15 bus tomorrow to Yangshou, update you all in a few days...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Boat PeopleBoat People
Boat People

They were just finishing lunch and cleaning their rice bowls in the river.
Sun and Moon PagodasSun and Moon Pagodas
Sun and Moon Pagodas

41m high and linked by tunnel. Tallest in China.
Wind CaveWind Cave
Wind Cave

Wide here and narrow in the middle causes a welcome cooling wind to blow.
Crane CaveCrane Cave
Crane Cave

Goes straight through the karst.


24th July 2010

Fantastic pictures - inspiring and beautifully atmospheric of the country. All well here but back to porridge on Monday after great hol in Tiree. Hello from all of us. Anne.
26th July 2010

hello at last
liked your latest pics fromguilan etc, you both do get around! A bit of a gap from last blog but understandable! Hope both well you look happy and fit. lol mum
28th July 2010

Hello
Hi to you both. Great pictures. You look like you are having a fantastic time on your world travels. Looking forward to seeing you in Oz.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb