The Chinese Must have Invented Stairs


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
September 28th 2005
Published: September 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Chinese Must have Invented Stairs...At least on our Yangtze River cruise we climbed so so many of the darn things it was amazing! Up from the boat, up to the pagoda/temple. It seemed never ending.

Anyway, 'Ni Hao', that’s hello in Chinese if you haven’t figured that out already. Where to start, we both have a lot to say about our time here in China.

This is the most ‘foreign’ place that I have ever visited. Here they have a different language and of course they use a different alphabet than English. Fforget about reading anything in Chinese characters except maybe city names on a train schedule or man/woman on a toilet, or entrance/exit… hey, we are learning something! On top of that, the culture here is so different!

I’ll update you briefly on the past week or so. First, we have been moving around a LOT. We have covered some serious distance, from Beijing to Xian (12 hr train), Zian to Chongqing (pronounce this CHOUNG-ching, 14 hour train), then along the Yangtze, which the Chinese call Chang Jiang. This was a 3 night trip on a Chinese tour boat, sharing our 4 bed room with a Chinese woman and her daughter. The trip was some 250km and coupled with a nice little bus ride at the end we were way way East in Wuhan. We didn’t stay there, but took another night train down to the South to Guilin and then to a smallish, very touristy town called Yangshou. Here we plan to STAY PUT for awhile. Sleeping on a train is do-able, but not preferable. Sharing a room with other people, again do-able, but after awhile really difficult.

On our Yangtze cruise we also saw the 3 Gorges dam, part of an absolutely huge and somewhat controversial project that is flooding towns, covering historic sights, and hiding scenic gorges. Of course, it is also providing the power of something like 12 nuc plants. We toured the dam and it was lame lame lame (the tour I mean). The best part may have been the scripted 'war horses' show. You never know what you're going to see on these tours. It was all in Chinese anyway. Worst part of that tour, waiting on land until nearly 2 am for our boat to navigate the dam's locks. Ugh!

Anyway, we plan to poke around Yangshou here for perhaps 5 days or so. Landscape here is super pretty. It has been my observation that many of the scenic areas are scenic because of the limestone geomorphology. And, the guidebooks aren’t afraid to insert ‘limestone’ in front of most descriptions of hills/cliffs/islands. It is as if ‘limestone’ always conjurs up more scenic imagery in people’s minds?

Anyway, let me give you very quickly hopefully ‘bests’ and ‘worsts’:

WORSTS:

Okay, enough of that, what’s great about China?

Well, the restaurant/internet place (free with a meal!) has Simon and Garfunkel’s greatist hits, and it’s cycled through a 2nd time and I just can’t listen to ‘The Boxer’ a third time, so I’ll let you all go. Sherry says a hello. She’s been busy keepiig up here private e-mail correspondance, so sorry, but you’re getting more of ‘me’ on the blog.

As you probably ascertained by level of ‘negativity’ in the BEST list above, we are having our share of difficulty here. Travel is hard, but we knew it would be. The language/alphabet is a huge barrier, but independent travel is possible here in China. We are seeing a lot of this country that is changing so much. The younger generation here are apopdting many western habits (shopping, mobile phone, other cultural things). There is a lot of building, a great, massive I would say, difference here between those that have money and those that don’t, and it won’t say this way forever. We are both glad to be seeing it before in changes again.

Sorry, but again, no photos. I find machines with Windows XP, but the camera sometimes doesn’t have the right driver. We’ve got some good ones, but you’ll have to wait!

Thanks for reading.

Cory and Sherry

Advertisement



28th September 2005

Stairs
I believe the Chinese did, in fact, invent stairs. This was back during the Ming Dynasty. Or was it Tang? Yes, definitely Tang. Of course, this was all before the "Chinese with Disabilities Act" was passed.
28th September 2005

china
sorry for your discomfort lately, does the finger not work there? did you get thru typhoon damrey ok? no memory of this? also there are 45 wal-marts in china look it up www.wal-martchina.com. hope you have better days and can send pics soon. take care be safe
28th September 2005

Xi'an
My urban design prof married a china girl from Xi'an. The Maoists didn't destroy its city walls, for some unknown reason.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb