First few days in Zhuhai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Zhuhai
September 5th 2007
Published: September 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

HK to Zhuahi

By catamaran ferry

Student helpersStudent helpersStudent helpers

Lakso and Steven
So some students helpers came to pick us up from HK and take us to the ferry crossing terminal to Zhuhai (mainland China). At the terminal we met our head boss, Prof. Eva Lai who is heading the English program.

The ride took a little over one hour. Crossing the delta of the Pearl River from the East to the West. On the way we could see Macau which borders to the south with Zhuhai.

A bus was waiting for us at the border and took us to the UIC campus which was opened in 2005 and is currently still under construction. This campus is actually very beautiful. It is situated 45 minutes from DT Zhuhai and is surrounded by forested hills.

The university only has a student population of a little over 2000 students but it is located right next to BNU (Baptist Normal Uni) which has a very large pop. So this is basically a student town.

All the TA's live in one dorm, and it is top notch. We have our own rooms, a balcony, and bathroom and shower. I have set up my internet connection in my room.

School officially begins Mon the 10th and thus far we have had meetings with all the staff members, Profs etc. We are familiarizing ourselves with the facilities on campus and our duties as TA's.

We were taken out so far twice to Zhuhai and the surrounding area for exploration. We went to the museum of Sun Yat Sen who deposed the 'something or other' Dynasty in 1912, and so his birthplace. We also visited a Buddhist temple which had ponds with turtles for good fortune (not as snack)

So far Ive made friends with some Chinese students here. One is called Nothing, his gf is called Rachel, and his best friend who is also my neighbor, Blue. Plus a bunch of others. They are all very eager to help us with anything. So we go out with them to eat so they can help us with the menu.

I have learned a very important phrase, "bu yau jewshau" = no pork
Our formal Chinese classes will start in a couple of weeks once our schedules are settled.

It is hot and humid here... but right now its not too bad... maybe 85 degrees... we had some thunderstorms and torrential rains the other day but today was nice.

Ive been playing basketball with one of the other TA's, Phil, and everyone that walks by just stares at us.... Were not Martians, only from the States...

If I walk out of my dorm building and walk 2 mins there is a supermarket, atm, kiosks, cell phone stores, post, and a bunch of restaurants. So everything is right here.

Anyhow I wont babble any longer. Enjoy the pix!!

muahh!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Chinese dish.Chinese dish.
Chinese dish.

just for decor


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb