Cooking in Southern China -


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shunde
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Teamwork!Teamwork!Teamwork!

We entered the contest as a cooking team. Not sure what Marc's part was.
Another Shunde experience took place on Sunday as we entered the "Shunde Cooking Contest" hosted by the mayor and other gov't officials. Marc came home from work a week ago saying that I had to cook in this contest and I said "no way." First I cannot find the ingredients here to cook any American dishes and I told him I did not want to participate. However he comes home the next day with the recipe I am to use. It is called Asian Stir Fry Chicken with Assorted Peppers, and all the ingredients would be on hand at the contest, all I had to do was show up .So off we go on the day of the contest which took place in the park across the street from our apt. I did it with the understanding that Marc would help and we would both act as though we knew what we were doing. I should know by now that this Chinese events are always a big deal. The CCTV news crews are all around, photographs being taken, distinguished guests, etc....
We went to our first station which was the food prep area. We were under a large canvas but it
PreparationPreparationPreparation

Working quickly to prepare the ingredients.
was about 100 degrees and lots of humidity! You could not escape the heat for sure! After we sliced our peppers and other ingredients we then moved to the cooking station where large woks were set up everywhere. We were assigned our spot and there we proceeded to look like Rachel Ray and Emeril on Food Network. After the chicken dish was cooked we placed it on the garnished plate of cucumbers and carrots. The judge said it was "great", but obviously not great enough to win the grand prize. We were given a very nice glass plaque for participation though. All in all a fun experience where as always new friends were made!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The CompetitionThe Competition
The Competition

Very quickly we saw that our limited preparation wasn't going to be good enough!
Support from our FriendsSupport from our Friends
Support from our Friends

Shirly and Ella joined us to help with translation and encouragement.
Award WinnerAward Winner
Award Winner

One of the winning dishes.
Finishing TouchesFinishing Touches
Finishing Touches

Putting the final touches on before the judges arrive.
Friendly CrowdFriendly Crowd
Friendly Crowd

The crowd looked on as we became the entertainment for the day at the park.
Plenty of CompetitionPlenty of Competition
Plenty of Competition

Many different dishes of all kinds made up the contest.
Shunde MayorShunde Mayor
Shunde Mayor

The Mayor was on hand for the contest.
Sampling the WinnersSampling the Winners
Sampling the Winners

Plenty of dishes to try.
Keeping CoolKeeping Cool
Keeping Cool

Trying to help Chef Janis stay cool in the China heat.
Tough CompetitionTough Competition
Tough Competition

These guys came well prepared and it showed
Local TVLocal TV
Local TV

Plenty of local coverage from the CCTV television station.
Winning TeamWinning Team
Winning Team

Ella and her son came for support.
Friendly SupportersFriendly Supporters
Friendly Supporters

Plenty of interested locals passing by.
Our Friend ShirlyOur Friend Shirly
Our Friend Shirly

Shirly now lives in Guangzhou, but comes back to Shunde every weekend.
Ella's FamilyElla's Family
Ella's Family

Family outing on a hot September afternoon at the park.
Volunteer WorkersVolunteer Workers
Volunteer Workers

Everyone enjoyed the contest even the volunteers.
CompetitorsCompetitors
Competitors

Our competitors has been practicing a lot more than we had.
Winning DishWinning Dish
Winning Dish

Looked pretty good, but we were afraid to try it.


21st September 2008

A+ for your efforts
Hey, that looks like so much fun!!! Congratulations for your efforts and making new friends.... the Mayor no less. Was it really "Asian" stir fry or "American" stir fry?
22nd September 2008

Good Morning Shundi
This look,s like it should it should be on "Good Morning America"

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb