Off to the south!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
August 8th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Buick Dealer SignBuick Dealer SignBuick Dealer Sign

We couldn't believe this!
After a three hour delay in the airport, we made it to GuangZhou, the weathiest city in China...this province is the leader in wealth (although it is still very low compared to US standards) because basically everything we wear is made here, including almost all of the world's sneaker production, so everyone has a job. We visited a Buick dealership (one of the top cars in China--odd, I know) and they were so happy to see us...check out the sign the put up. Apparently they don't see too many Westerners. We also went to a private congolmerate that makes everything from furniture to housing to mining.

This is going to sound odd, and trust me it was, we went to a film producer's house for dinner, with leaders from the business community (think Chamber of Commerce) to talk to them about thier experiences, which in theory sounds fine, except we aren't too sure what kinds of movies he makes, if you get my drift. We made it out alive, but after dinner the film students were filming us all of the time and some of us had to act our scenes with this actor who looks like some famous Chinese actor...I had to dance with him and two girls had dinner with him...it was very odd. We were all happy to leave, but appreciated how the film students put on a nice show for us...we just didn't want to be in it.

We also went to a company the makes herbal medicine and a fashion wholesaler who gave his presentation to us in front of a huge hammer and sickel (not sure how to spell that). We all got some pictures in front of it...it was pretty funny.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb