My Visit to the Southern Weekend Strike, Guangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
January 7th 2013
Published: January 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I had free time today and read about the journalists on strike at China Southern. The journalists request that new minister of censorship step down and offer a public apology. That's the real story. Former investigative journalist Tao Zhen has become captain hush, working as new propaganda chief and increasing censorship of Guangzhou's usually more liberal press. Tuo Zhen is the target of the strike, and ultimately will be remembered as a turn coat.

Supporters of the rally were posting live photos of the event on weibo twitter. The protest was not very eventful. Everyone there appeared to be a writer. Imagine several dozen writers standing outside of a newspaper building taking pictures of eachother with their phones. Didn't see police doing anything rough, just making sure nobody blocked the entrance. One cop had an attitude but I think he was pissed about having to watch over a protest. One guy started singing songs about free speech, but he couldn't get anyone to join in.

Not the best way to spend an afternoon, but historic none the less. There won't be any "Occupy Guangzhou" movement anytime soon.

Al Jazerra made a fairly comprehensive video of the afternoon


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb