#128 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Maiji Mountain Caves in Tianshui, Gansu)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Gansu » TianShui
December 18th 2010
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tianshui City is the second largest city in Gansu Province of China, and is located about 4 hours S.E. of Lanzhou, the capitol of Gansu, the largest city in Gansu. Tianshui City, a smaller community of some 5 Million inhabitants, is continuing to develop into a more modern city, but still retains much of the flavor of an older Chinese city along the Yellow River. As one of the main settlement... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 5The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 5
The Middle Seven Buddhas, Photo 5

A closer look at the hand reveals some of the wooden frame, to which the clay had been attached.
Along this pavilion, the statuary is some of the most impressive.Along this pavilion, the statuary is some of the most impressive.
Along this pavilion, the statuary is some of the most impressive.

Well preserved and painted sculptures are found in these grottoes.
The Buddhas in these pavilions are seated with the legs crossed on a lotus seat, flanked by the disciples.The Buddhas in these pavilions are seated with the legs crossed on a lotus seat, flanked by the disciples.
The Buddhas in these pavilions are seated with the legs crossed on a lotus seat, flanked by the disciples.

The gold colors on the round forehead has not weathered away. The head is surrounded by colorful murals. Many document the changes of life style, religion and culture over a thousand year period. Sadly, some have been damaged by the scratches of graffiti.
These next two niches flank the image of God Shiva,  #1These next two niches flank the image of God Shiva,  #1
These next two niches flank the image of God Shiva, #1

They are a combination of Hindu images in Chinese Buddhist art.
Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #1Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #1
Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #1

Plump image of a seated Buddha with a pleasant smile and intimate gesture.
Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #2Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #2
Ancient stucco figures on Maiji Shan, #2

Bodhisattva with elegant posture and dignified appearance.



17th December 2010

Fantastic place, fantastic pictures
Wonderful blog of a fantastic place, I really would like to visit in the future. Thank you. I would be grateful if you could include some details of how one reaches the Maiji mountain, I have looked previously for information but it was hard to find anything useful.
17th December 2010
Departing Maiji Shan, Photo 3

hi,i am coming now . pic is very nice~!
17th December 2010
Maiji Shan/Mountain near Tianshui, Gansu, China

how are you?
long time no see !but ,I always thinking about you,I used to writes your name in my book.book.please call me as soon as posiblle!!
18th December 2010

It is amazing
I would love to visit there one day,
19th December 2010

Merry Xmas Hans!
Hi Hans This looks wonderful, although at this stage I'm having trouble downloading the photos. (Only a few are loading) I think perhaps the site is experiencing heavier than normal traffic. I'll try again tomorrow. You're a braver person than I with those staircases!!!! Tooo scary for me! Hope all goes well with you. I'm working right up until Xmas Eve then just one week off. Are you heading away for the winter hols?
20th December 2010

your description about Tianshui is very deeply, more than Chinese people, this is a wonderful things... miss you best wishes for you. we will travel together some days.
30th December 2010
Departing Maiji Shan, Photo 3

wow
you are so cool!
26th March 2011

The mountain looks serene and divine. It's imaginable, how prosperous in the past the place might be. To wind up the Maijishan worshipping their buddhas, desciples must have no fear of the vertical staircases!
10th September 2012

THAKS FOR THIS ALBUM FOR ALL
MAYBE I NEVER GO TO THESE SITE...BUT WHIT YOUR PHOTOS, I HAVE A BETTER VISIÓN OF THE WORLD......THANKS.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb