DUNHUANG


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Dunhuang
June 18th 2014
Published: June 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DUNHUANG. WEDNESDAY. 18.6.14

Dunhuang is an appealing city, a small, modern central CBD, offering reasonable fashion shopping, a variety of supermarkets and liquor stores, and a few outdoor shops. It is promoted as the gateway to the Silk Road and pictures of camels abound. The city didn't appear to be very busy, perhaps it was siesta time. Western China does gave a two hour siesta period in mid afternoon. Many shops appear to stay open until 10 pm.

There is a tourist dining street, with the roadway lined with tables and chairs, bordered by hot coals' BBQs grilling lamb and chicken skewers, selling recently baked hot bread and veg. You must eat the bread when it is served hot, as when it 's cooled it is hard like concrete. This street food wasn't cheap. The lamb skewers tasted as though they had been dipped in sand, as the meat tasted gritty, and the small pieces were otherwise tasteless. Not a very satisfying meal, which was a disappointment. Further down the street was the tourist market, selling all range of supposedly local craft and novelties. At least it wasn't Chinese junk seen in many Asian tourist markets. This market was fun to wander.

Found an appealing bar where 10 of us, too many really, went for a pre dinner glass of wine or beer. Shared a bottle of local Pinot Noir with 4 others. It tasted ok and all agreed. First wine tasting in a China this trip. Cost was Y190, about $32 for the bottle. Saw the bottle in the supermarket for 50%. The bar had some atmosphere though.

Two things the city is famed for is its Buddha Caves and Sandhills. The attraction of the Sandhills is sand boarding and apparently the sharp edge to the dune face. The caves are supposedly interesting, but as I have already seen similar caves this trip, I will pass. This city has a western food and coffee culture which I will explore.

After further city wandering I found some interesting street posters each suggesting what lies ahead on the Silk Road. Also some vey distinctive street lighting. Many towns we have passed through have distinctive street light posts. There is a popular Buddhist mystical woman here who features in many signs, street sculptures and shops. Cannot find out why unfortunately.

Meant to post yesterday photos of the desert and our "A" team, who cycled 141 Kms at an average speed over the distance of 38.8 Kms/ hr. FAST. they did have a tail wind for part of the journey. I have now definitely been dropped to a much lower grade! Back on the bike tomorrow.

The dust and sun here is very drying on the skin, so I took your advice George and purchased a tube of pawpaw cream $2 for 150 ml.

Tonight will probably look for lamb again. I think it might be mutton as it is a little tough!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



18th June 2014

Enjoy your first day back on the bike tomorrow!! Sounds as though Dunhuang has been an interesting city - especially with the camels! How was the wine??? Hope you managed to have a more tastier meal tonight!! Glad you got the paw paw - that will definitely come in handy! xx
21st June 2014

Reply
Thanks G. Yes bike ride ok. Have now ridden another 420 Kms since DUNHUANG. Dx

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb