Coolies:  Their Journey along the Ancient Bayan Road


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing » Chongqing
January 13th 2020
Published: January 13th 2020
Edit Blog Post

The ancient town of Xituo is located in Shizhu Tujia Autonomous County of Chongqing. It is the starting point of the Ancient Bayan Road. As early as the Qianlong Period of the Qing Dynasty, the area began flourishing as a water and land trading point. The long human history of the area has left a wealth of culture here. In ancient times, transportation along the Bayan Road was treacherous and inconvenient. Coolies (contract laborers) played an important role in economic and trade exchanges throughout the southwest region.
Salt originating from Wanzhou, Yunyang, among other areas all arrived over water to the shores of Xitou. Here, coolies would carry hundred-pound bags of the salt from Xiyan Xiayandian wearing uncomfortable straw shoes and worn out linen shirts. They embarked on long journeys, routinely trekking across hundreds of kilometers on foot. No matter rain or shine, the coolies unyieldingly walked the dangerous, often slippery and always dirty old roads transporting the salt to places such as Enshi and Lichuan.
For thousands of years throughout the vicissitudes of the Ancient Bayan Road, coolies have lived by a dogma of perseverance, which influenced generations of Bayu descendants to come. Nowadays, more modern transportation facilities have replaced the transportation methods of the coolies. We do not see the difficulties and obstacles that the coolies experienced in the past. However, through the reenactment of the Xituo salt carrying performance, we are able to relive this remarkable piece of history once again.
In times past, the coolies walked in a row along Yunti Street in Xituo, proudly crying out patriotic labor songs. The singing allowed Bayan coolies to forget about the physical pains and pressures of their everyday life, and also vocalize their hopes and aspirations for their hometown, families, and loved ones.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb