Nationality importance


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 10th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have been discovering how much a person's nationality can affect how he/she is treated. At first it was just the amazement of how differently we are treated here in China because we are American because most Chinese dream of someday coming to the United States. But then meeting some Europeans here, it is apparent that Americans do not hold any special place in their hearts. It seems most other westerners see Americans as being full of themselves, when in fact these other westerners come off as being the same when they hold such an opinion. Then, with the recent events in London where American airlines were threatened to be bombed it really hits home when you are being attacked as a nationality in general for reasons not completely known.

I was talking to my friend from Columbia with respect to the foiled terrorism attack and I was able to hear how she has to deal with being Columbian. If you are not aware, Columbians in general are seen as drug dealers. Their country has incredible levels of crime simply because of the drug trade that goes through the country. As a result, she gets pulled aside into a room for "suspicious persons" almost every time she travels through the United States and has to be interviewed before she can get onto her next flight. Only once did she not have to be pulled aside, and that was because she had a visa from the World Bank!

Even travelling to certain countries seems to be a risk if you stand out as being American. I never realized how obvious it is that I am American, but I cannot seem to blend in to any other nationality, except maybe Canadian. Nevertheless, while their are some disadvantages currently to being American, I will put up with them simply so I can enjoy all the great benefits of the country!

Advertisement



10th August 2006

Glad you don't blend in
We are truly glad that you do not blend in! Great job letting the rest of us know why we are thankful to be Americans in America without having to go abroad. It won't be long before you are back on U.S. soil. Enjoy the last few weeks!

Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb