Panjiayuan 潘 家 園


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 11th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It is gloomy today but not wet like the week ends before. I am a flea market and garage sales junkie, cannot miss this biggest flea market in Beijing or China. I could get up earlier if not the crazy lady pounding on the door at midnight. The flea market open every day but Sunday has the most sellers inside and out. There are some permanent stores there for daily business.

Since the line 10 subway opened make it easier access by subway. It is only five stops from my apartment without transfers. Take the subway all the way to the end at Jinsong 勁松 exit “D” and go south. It is not that easy to orient yourself in Beijing, the city is a square and no mountains or sea to judge.

On the way to the flea market passed by the eye glasses city. The whole block is eye glasses shops. I guess if not a hundred at least closed to it. I just have my sun glasses made two days ago at Xidan area. One day services and cheaper than made in Hong Kong and a lot faster. The eye glasses city may be good for designer frames.

The flea market is about 15 minutes walking from the subway station, and free admission. I got there a little before 8:00 am . Not too many shoppers yet. The main customers are locals and some foreigners live in Beijing. Very few tourists. There are some small vendor set up on the side walk also, may be they sell stuff from their family or neighbors. Mostly antique looking stuffs in whole or broken pieces. I bought a stone animal from a lady for 60 rmb, the asking price was 350 rmb.

When I got in the flea market the first thing caught my eye is some Rolex watches on the floor. The seller is very soft spoken and claims they are real. I am not sure , it does not look fake either. I bought so many fake Rolex and Omega before, nothing can compare the details and construction of these. Sellers may rip you off on the price but usually very honest to tell you if it is fake. The asking price is 380 rmb a piece, too high for fake and too low for real. At tourist place the asking price for a fake one may start with 500-800rmb and hard bargain down to between 150-200 rmb for a good copy. You can get a cheap copy of Rolex or Omega at the side walk of the flea market for 30 rmb ( post price ).

The best is I got the price down to 250 rmb a piece. I bought one after another end up with three. If is a real one is a deal, even is fake for that quality is still worth it. He is the only one has it and only one of each style. He has a total of in the neighborhood of 10 watches besides other antiques. It does not look like a regular watch seller. Some other antique looking stuff in the market you see everyone has it and in different sizes. So you can judge yourself how real are they.

I spent all my money in the first 30 minutes, I do not want to go to the ATM at the entrance. So I will not end up buy more junk. Just taking pictures and not spending any more money,.

Books are good deal too, all vintages in the 1800 or older to 2009. Books and magazines in all subjects and in all different languages. There are a lot selling for 2rmb each.

For those does not know yet, the current exchange rate is $1 to 6.8 rmb. It was 8.3 rmb a few years back. Thanks to the American politicians.



Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Appraisal 2Appraisal 2
Appraisal 2

on site appraisal from Beijing University
Appraisal 1Appraisal 1
Appraisal 1

on site for 10 rmb per piece regardless of sizes or prices or ages
Transport 1Transport 1
Transport 1

if too heavy, help is available
Transport 2Transport 2
Transport 2

if too heavy to bring it home, no problem


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb