Living in Daxing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 9th 2008
Published: December 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So now we live in Daxing. It’s an outer suburb of Beijing and a 10 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride to the Kindergarten where we work. The apartment is on the 7th floor and initially I was a bit hesitant about moving in. It is a lovely place, though too many fancy trimmings for my liking. Big fancy ceramic pots and lots of glass display cases don’t mix too well with the shenanigans my boys like to get up to! Note to me to entertain them outside as often as possible!

The Kindy is a pretty massive set up. The boss is Taiwanese and has another two Kindys in another city of China called Nanjing. She is rarely on the scene and has someone else running the show though there are all sorts of bets on how long the current Principal will last. Lately they’ve been changing Principal about every 4 months! The children have warmed to us without much bribery! I cracked open the book cases that the keys have long been lost to. I don’t think any of the previous English teachers have used many of these resources since the Kindy was opened 4 years ago. There’s lots to do and the day passes quickly. The three and a half hour lunch break is something I’d like to take with me to any further employment down the track!

Found a good bit of dirt for the boys to play in at the end of our street (its a dead end road and about a year or so until they build a big road there) so enjoying letting them run amuck and get back to the basics of eating cheap street food, being filthy, and flying kites. Of course there is also great people-watching opportunities as in the evening the local farmers set up along the roadside selling their vegies, all the oldies come out for an evening stroll and several people scavenge for bricks in the dirt piles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb