Big Trouble in Little China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
December 19th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rob at the Great WallRob at the Great WallRob at the Great Wall

Looking out over the mountain
Before I say anything else I'll say this:

CHINA IS FRIGGIN HUGE!!!



We got off the plane early yesterday after a long haul delay - 2 hours sat on the tarmac and then 9 hours in the air, so needless to say we were exhausted by the time I was scrutinised AWFULLY closely by the girl at customs and when Andrew had a confrontation with the woman at 'customer services'. We jumped straight on the bus (16Y against 100Y for a taxi...what would you do?) and rode it out to the station feeling awfully out of our depths. Touts were everywhere - leeching off the fact that we looked British and could pass for American, and set about CHASING US to the hotel we are staying at and asking "You want taxi? Taxi good, you want? Cheap hotel? Taxi? I have taxi? You stay in cheaper hotel?" Then the moment you say no they pretend to be unable to understand English (a blatant lie) and start pestering you all over again.

Hotel is good, nice way to lower ourselves into the deep end. The strange smell throughout may be due to the fact that smoking hasn't been banned in public places here yet and as such the internet cafe from which I type has a layer of smoke lining the ceiling, tobacco stains to go with it. You'd think people would be more polite, but the biggest fault I've found with the country so far is that everyone is so rude! Even 10 minutes ago at the cue for the computers some fat little bastard was more than happy to jump in my way and push me back, followed by his lanky pervy friend who had in tow a 10 year old girlfriend. I'm not a stickler for perfect manners but this really is just the extreme opposite.

We saw the Great Wall today and it was one of those heart in your mouth moments - absolutely breathtaking. Like sitting at the top of the world, with mountains below you and the smog of Beijing far, far away and out of sight. Panoramic views of incredible sights - the pictures can't do them justice, and the awesome feeling when we reached the summut on foot, despite the lung tearing mish to get there, was unbelieveable. A must see!!

Last things before I sign off. Getting on an overnight train to Xi'an tomorrow so hopefully will update from there and we're visiting Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City during the day so will hopefully have some pics from there. Hotel now for a chill and a shower and then maybe check out a restaurant we went to with our tour guide yesterday for some eats. Still feeling the travelling a bit so early night tonight and early start tomorrow!

Love to your mothers

Peace out xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb