Guozijian


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
November 7th 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beijing Guozijian or the Imperial College was once a stage for the Emperor, who frequently came here to read Confucian classics to thousands of students. The remaining College building is located in a particularly interesting district of old Beijing.The area around the college is now one of the most colourful and picturesque roads in the city. Beautifully painted archways decorate the gate and the road itself. The Confucius temple, the second biggest temple in China, can be found down a small alley opposite the magnificent Lama Temple.


The arrangement of the road and the buildings in this area are in keeping with ancient Chinese customs which dictate that the Temple should be on the left and the school or college on the right. This area was one of the most important humanist centres in the country and, during the Ming and Qing dynasties, the College was the highest educational organ of the Chinese Empire. Today, the College is the only remaining architectural building of the ancient state-run central university.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb