Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
November 4th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Beijing early in the morning, by sleeper train, for the final stop on our tour of China. We jumped in a taxi to our hotel, and the first thing we did after check-in was score ourselves a sausage and egg pancake for 1 Yuan (that's about 6p!). David managed to eat this despite suffering from a toothache, which we would have to devote some time to soon.

First we visited the Forbidden City, another former royal residence. The cold windy weather and toothache had reduced our patience for this sort of thing, so we scarpered and went to get David's tooth checked out. We eventually tracked down a reliable, international clinic in Beijing to discover that he needed root canal treatment! A most unsympathetic Chinese dentist, who was reluctant even to give an injection, administered this painful procedure leaving David shaken and tender.

Later in the evening we went to see the acrobatics show in town which cheered David up no end! (check out the picture of the girls on the bike). The enthusiastic Chinese children in this show performed with incredible precision and finesse, but we couldn't help wondering how these standards were achieved. Balancing on their heads for 10 minutes while contorting their bodies into ridiculous shapes!?

The next day we were up at six, in anticipation of our long-awaited hike along the great wall. The cold and wind were quite extreme, considering our summer wardrobe, but the exercise kept us warm, and the views were just amazing. We actually hiked along a lesser visited section of the wall, which hasn't been restored like many other parts. We ended the hike by jumping on one of those flying fox thingies and taking the boat down to the restaurant where we were to meet the rest of our group. This was a nice respite after about 5 hours of tough walking and climbing.

We complemented all that physical exertion with a farewell dinner together with our group leader that evening - Beijing duck, fantastic. We said our thanks to her and exchanged e-mail addresses with one another, and we ended up finishing the night with one last drink together in the hotel lobby (amid the noisy, pyjama-sporting Chinese card players). At this point we would just like to say thank you to all of our tour group. You being you was really what made our China tour such fun and so unforgettable. We would love to take you up on your offers and come and visit but we have much more world to see yet so '...maybe later!'

Well, the tour was finished, but we still had one day left in Beijing before our flight onwards to Bangkok, and there was also unfinished business. First, David's dental treatment needed a second appointment. Second, Tiananmen square still had to be seen. We were planning to eat our lunch here but it was so unbelievably cold when we arrived that we just took a few snaps and literally ran to the subway! Finally, we felt it would be rude not to have one last Beijing Duck before leaving!

China was great. Its hard to make observations and conclusions about this very private nation. Even visiting the country left us with more questions than answers. To compare this huge population with India's, its safe to say that they are certainly doing something right (or appear to be). We will remember China for its food, scenery, organisation and clean, slick operations (aside from those of a dental nature!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th November 2006

Great Blog
Hi Louise and David. Your blog is fantastic and you look like you're having an amazing time. Can't wait to read the next instalment! Missing you at work, Louise, but you're in a far better place! Enjoy xx
6th December 2006

Chitwan national park
loved your commenton the sumptuous meal you seemed to be enjoying. If you ask me you just don't seem to appreciate the great effort people went to to put food on the table. Anyone would think that the meal was all water and very little substance. Great blogs, great photos. It's also great to see you both having a fabulous time. I,ve just read your most recent blog mail, I will digest and get back to you (pardon the little pun). love from dear old blighty...ps. Wrap up well, looks a bit freeeezing (sorry my finger gt stuck on the 'e'!!) where you are or more accurately where you were. The road is long, the wall is high and Everest-what can I say? I,m sure you will have so much to talk about, this once in alifetime adventure, just don't let the old ladies boss you about too much. Love you both, always thinking about you. xxx

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb