The Temple of Heaven Park


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Temple of Heaven
October 1st 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Circular AltarThe Circular AltarThe Circular Altar

The Circular Altar has three layered terraces with white marble. During the Ming and Qing Dynasties (1368 A.D. - 1911 A.D.), the emperors would offer sacrifice to Heaven on the day of the Winter Solstice every year. This ceremony was to thank Heaven and hope everything would be good in the future.
The Temple of Heaven (Tian Tan) in Beijing covers about 3 000 000 square metres. It is a bigger area than the Forbidden City. The Temple was built in 1420 A.D. during the Ming Dynasty to offer sacrifices to Heaven (not human I think!!), which is the same time as the construction of the Forbidden City.
The Temple of Heaven is enclosed with a long wall. The northern part within the wall is semicircular symbolizing the heavens and the southern part is square symbolizing the earth. This design reflected an ancient Chinese thought of 'the heaven is round and the earth is square'.
The entrance to the park seems a bit uninviting with hawkers attacking you from every direction. Upon entering, the size of the park is so massive you wonder where all the temples are, and it takes a while to get to them. You walk along the Sacred Way, the connecting path between the temples. As with all other things in China, it's BIG. They certainly didn't belive in doing things in a small way.
We spent a day exploring the Temple of Heaven. http://www.kinabaloo.com/temple_of_heaven.html for some great pictures and inforamtion.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Circular AltarThe Circular Altar
The Circular Altar

The number 9 was a most important number. Odd numbers were seen a lucky and 9 is the largest odd number single digit number. All pavers, steps and balustrades are factors of 9.
The Centre StoneThe Centre Stone
The Centre Stone

If you stand on the centre stone your voice is amplified (nine times?). Everyone you can see is lining up to stand on the stone but Tom got preferential treatment because he's so handsome.
Scene From the Circular StoneScene From the Circular Stone
Scene From the Circular Stone

The Altar has 3 levels. it is a delight to numerologists and cosmologists. The number 9 forms its entire design. Need to look it up on the internet to fully appreciate and understand all the symbolism.
The Echo StonesThe Echo Stones
The Echo Stones

The 3 echo stones lead to the Imperial Vault of Heaven. If you speak or clap facing the Vault while standing on the first stone, you will hear one echo; standing on the second and then the third stone, you will hear two and three echoes respectively.
Echo WallEcho Wall
Echo Wall

The wall enclosing the Imperial Vault of Heaven is called the Echo Wall. Its perimeter is 193 meters. If you stand at the wall and whisper, your voice is heard on the other side (on a still day when no-one else is there).
The Imperial Vault of HeavenThe Imperial Vault of Heaven
The Imperial Vault of Heaven

Tom and I standing at a gate leading to the Imperial Vault of Heaven.
The Hall of Prayer for Good HarvestsThe Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests

One of the most beautiful examples of Chinese Ming architecture. The Hall of Prayer For Good Harvests is 3 tiers and beautifully painted. It is the final stop along the Temple of Heaven walk and is an appropriately magnificent end to the park. The emperor came here at the winter soltice to pray for good harvests. It has no nails holding it together so don't lean against it to hard.
The Hall of Prayer For Good Harvests From anEntrance GateThe Hall of Prayer For Good Harvests From anEntrance Gate
The Hall of Prayer For Good Harvests From anEntrance Gate

The Temple of Heaven Park seems a bit uninviting at the entrance and you don't quite know what you're in for. But once inside the magnificence of Ming China is on display. Here we are standing in a gate with the Hall of Prayers For Good Harvests in the background.
Inside a TempleInside a Temple
Inside a Temple

The temples were mainly used to pray for good harvests. here is a view of the inside of the smaller temple inside the echo wall. Actually I've seen so many temples, I'm not 100% sure of that!!
On the Temple VerandaOn the Temple Veranda
On the Temple Veranda

This is on the outside circular edge of the smaller temple, looking along the walkway to the Temple of Good Harvests.
On the Walkway Connecting the TemplesOn the Walkway Connecting the Temples
On the Walkway Connecting the Temples

This centre walkway called the Sacred way or The Vermilion Steps Bridge connects the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest and the Imperial Vault of Heaven.


1st October 2007

Well what a great time you guys are having, so envious. Phil

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb