The Summer Palace


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Haidian district
October 1st 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Entering the PalaceEntering the PalaceEntering the Palace

As with other Chinese temples and monuments, you are not prepared for the bigness, the immense bigness, the overwhelming bigness of the Summer Palace. Everything in China is big.
"We're all goin' on a ... summer holiday". Now this is a place where I could happily spend my summer holiday. The Palace began construction in the Jin Dynasty (1115-1234) but it was extended continuously over the years. By the time of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), it had become a luxurious royal garden providing royal families with rest and entertainment.
In 1888, Empress Dowager Cixi embezzled navy funds to reconstruct it for her own benefit, changing its name to Summer Palace (Yiheyuan). She was an interesting character. She is known as 'The Dragon Lady' and no I'm not talking about my mother-in-law. She apparently wasted China’s entire military money turning the palace into a luxurious playground. What a dragon lady! spending the kid's inheritance like that.
At the same time the Japanese were spending gazillions building up their own military might, especially their navy. The only military or navy thing she constructed was a stone boat which wasn't much good when China was invaded in 1900. It was, in fact, their entire naval resources. (I don't have a picture of it).
After the 1911 revolution, the Summer Palace was opened to the public.
Go to http://www.kinabaloo.com/summer_palace.html for more pictures and details
Our partyOur partyOur party

This hall is called ......... no, sorry I've forgotten.
and corrections to my history lesson.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

En GuardEn Guard
En Guard

The Lions guard the Summer Palace. I think this is the female lion. The male was on the right of the picture. (or the other way around??)
The 'Other' LionThe 'Other' Lion
The 'Other' Lion

Tom standing with 'The Other Lion'.
Another PalaceAnother Palace
Another Palace

Jenni and Suzanne in front of ...... another palace!!
Gate Leading to the LakeGate Leading to the Lake
Gate Leading to the Lake

The lake in the Summer Palace takes up most of the area of the park. It was dug by workers before the invention of bigger bigger diggers
Pavillion at the LakePavillion at the Lake
Pavillion at the Lake

This small pavillion compliments the scene of the lake beautifully.
The LakeThe Lake
The Lake

Jenni at the bank of the lake. Don''t step back!!
Jenni and TomJenni and Tom
Jenni and Tom

The lake is basically in the centrepiece of the palace complex. Willows line the shore and the big buddhist temple, The Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge),can be seen in the background.
Jenni and RykJenni and Ryk
Jenni and Ryk

Looking towards the Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge). The lake, called Kumming Lake, is used for ice skating in winter and boat rides the rest of the year.
The Whole PartyThe Whole Party
The Whole Party

What would the Dragon Lady think of this lot? 'Off with their heads!!'
Tom and ChrisTom and Chris
Tom and Chris

In a courtyard. The Emperors used to keep his 10 000 concubines in these living quarters.
Water ScribeWater Scribe
Water Scribe

The scribe writes in water. It dries and disappears. Don't write down anything important!!
The BoysThe Boys
The Boys

Tom and Joel sit outside one of the living quarters (maybe waiting for one of the 10 000 concubines??).
The FamilyThe Family
The Family

Standing outside one of the many living quarters.
The Long CorridorThe Long Corridor
The Long Corridor

The Long Corridor was built in 1750 and burnt down in 1860. It was rebuilt in 1868. It is in Guinness Book of Records for being the longest continuously painted hall (or something like that). It is 728 metres long. That's a long way to the bathroom!!
Beautiful Art workBeautiful Art work
Beautiful Art work

Looking up at the ceiling art work at one of the 4 octagonal double eaved pavillions along the Long Corridor. They each have names. This was 'Mesmerizing Scenery'.
Framing The LakeFraming The Lake
Framing The Lake

This structure frames the lake.
The TempleThe Temple
The Temple

The Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge) is the focus of the Summer Palace.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb