#99 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Thoughts on China's Tragic Earthquake, and my most recent visit to the 29th Olympic City, Beijing)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
May 28th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Throughout history, there have been a multitude of catastrophies, in which animals have given us warnings of impending disasters. One recent tragedy, that stands out in my mind, is the "great tsunami" in Indonesia only a few years ago. Elephants in large numbers, to the surprise of the inhabitants, stampeded toward higher grounds as the monster sea-waves approached the shores. The people of the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #4The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #4
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #4

The one-of-its-kind National Grand Theater is now more commonly known as "the Egg".
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #5The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #5
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #5

Geometric patterns reflect in the artificial lake, which completely surrounds the Grand Theater.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #6The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #6
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #6

The "Egg" is a spectacular multi-purpose venue, which hosts classical concerts, ballet, and opera. It also provides space for art exhibitions.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #7The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #7
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #7

No matter what one may think of its design, its central location and impressive architecture certainly merit a visit to the Beijing National Grand Theater.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #8The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #8
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #8

The main entrance of the "Egg" leads visitors down stairs into the entrance hall. Above flows the artificial lake. Looking at the program, which on this day featured, "Madam Butterfly", tickets ranged from $50 to $250. "Maybe next time!"
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #1Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #1
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #1

For some colorful evening entertainment, nothing beats a visit to the new Mei LanFang Theater, for a presentation of "Beijing Opera". I will try to compose a TravelBlog chapter about this ancient and traditional Chinese entertainment in the near future. It is one of my favorite cultural activities when visiting China's capital. The theatre is an inviting and colorful glass structure, and tickets for a performance are not easy to get.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #2Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #2
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #2

Mei LanFang is one of China's most respected and greatest artist of Beijing Opera. His roles continue to be performed and praised. (Please visit my TravelBlog entry #34, which includes a visit to his home in Taizhou. Entry #34 will tell you much about this admired artist, an honored resident of my city of Taizhou, Jiangsu.)
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #3Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #3
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #3

The light and bright atrium of the theatre is a pleasant space of coffee shops, and gift shops. It provides comfortable space for some fresh brew and conversation before the beginning of the performance.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #4Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #4
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #4

The interior of the Mei LanFang Theatre is state of the art, intimate, comfortable and plush, without any obstructions, providing a wonderful view for all aficionados of Beijing Opera.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #5Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #5
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #5

Performances follow ancient traditions, with wonderfully colorful costumes, that make Beijing Opera such a joy to watch. The house was packed, and I was happy to see, that most visitors in fact were Chinese. It was not just a performance for tourists.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #6Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #6
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #6

Not seen to the left of the stage, is a small group of musician, that accompany the progress of the opera on their traditional instruments, with century old sounds. The music at times may be difficult and strange for a Western ear, but add much to the exotica of this unique Chinese artform. The opera relies much on the grace of movements, including the martial arts, and each costume identifies the type-cast characters.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #7Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #7
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #7

As with many of our familiar operas in the West, Beijing opera also tells stories of love, deception, war, and death. They take us back into China's 5,000 year history, and offer a dramatic glimpse through China's past dynasties, and many of its colorful personalities and events.
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #8Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #8
Mei LanFang Theatre, Photo #8

Leaving the theatre at the conclusion of an exciting performance, the glass, lights and colors of the Mei LanFang Theatre create a special ambience. Though not a large theater, it will be one to remember, and one I wish to visit and enjoy many more times. (Don't forget to visit my TravelBlog #34, to visit the home and meet Mei Lanfang, the greatest Beijing Opera artist, and whose name will continue to be honored in this theater.)
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #1Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #1
Bei Hai Park, Photo #1

This extensive and magnificent imperial park is located in the center of Beijing City. It has a history of 1,000 years, and is one of the earliest and most perfectly preserved royal gardens of China. It was opened to the public in 1925.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #2Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #2
Bei Hai Park, Photo #2

The park is filled with artificial hills, spectacular pavilions, and exquisite ancient temples. In the middle of the royal get-away, Jade Island raises, and was made from the earth excavated while creating the lake.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #3Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #3
Bei Hai Park, Photo #3

Jade Island is topped by the 118-ft high "White Dagoba", a Tibetan style stupa. These usually are constructed to remember a specific event, and within are buried ancient reliques and scriptures.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #4Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #4
Bei Hai Park, Photo #4

Topping Jade Island, the "White Dagoba", is visible from many parts of the city of Beijing. This Tibetan-style stupa was built to honor and to commerate the visit of the fifth Dalai Lama in 1651 to the royal court of Beijing.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #5Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #5
Bei Hai Park, Photo #5

Bei Hai Park is associated with Kublai Khan, who re-designed it during the Mongol "Yuan" Dynasty of the 13th Century, though it had already an association with the "Liao" Dynasty of the 10th Century. During the "Ming" Dynasty of the 14th Century and the "Qing" Dynasty of the 17the Century it became a large-scale royal garden, merging scenes of lake and hill.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #6Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #6
Bei Hai Park, Photo #6

Surrounding the "Jade Flowery Islet", along the lake's edge, visitors admire and walk beneath spectacular and brightly painted, royal pavilions. The massive "White Dagoba", on top of Jade Hill, continually reminds, that we are walking China's ancient royal garden.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #7Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #7
Bei Hai Park, Photo #7

Ascending near the park's entrance, this temple dates into many centuries, and remains, as only one of few in China, in its original condition, and as temples go, is more unique in its construction.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #8Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #8
Bei Hai Park, Photo #8

Within the temple, peacefully sits one of China's most special Buddhas, gracefully crafted many centuries ago from pure white Jade.



30th May 2008

Thank you very much!
Hello,Hans,first of all,thank you for today`s wonderful speech.I learn a lot from your speech.You know,I like travelling very much,too.But now,I must pay all my attention to my study.So,I don`t have spare time to travel.Fortunately I can know many beautiful places of intrest by your pictures.Thank you!You are a good man.I love you.Wish you great happiness!
31st May 2008

it's always such a pleasure hearing from you!
31st May 2008

Hello Mr. Schneider, i really like your travel blog. I am one of the few germans who just visited your city to learn chinese. Thank you for the time there. It was a real pleasure. Reading your travelblog now is like being in Taizhou again. =)
1st June 2008

hello ,Mr.hance.I'm sorry,it's my first time to enter your blog.It's great,Thank you very much .Because of you ,i know the responsibility for a teacher is sacred. You are very good teacher .Thank you .
1st June 2008

God Bless China. God Bless you. I miss you. One of your beloved students.
5th June 2008

Amazing earthquake blog
Hans, You know that I check your blogs every now and then because I taught in Jiansu province also (Nanjing). Your blog was the first that I heard of the frogs. A Chinese visitor here in Atlanta said she had heard of un-natural events that seemed to presage the earthquake. I will let her know about your blog. Your pictures were the first I saw of the swimming arena. Amazing architecture! Thanks for all you write and photograph.
8th June 2008

Hey!
I'm sooo glad you're okay schneider. I still miss you so much. This was a really sad post, but I am glad to have heard about the earthquake from you. Though it's the first I've heard about the frogs. The buildings for the Olympics are amazing. I only wish I could go and see it for myself. Stay well, keep writing and your photos are amazing!
12th June 2008

I love China, I love Beijing,and you, of course^_^
28th June 2008

hello,Mr.Schneider
you are my eyes to the world, Coz I have not much money to travel around.i love you.i am your fans.
4th July 2008

Thank you !!
I'd like to shake hands with you ,however,the situation does not permit ^_^ by the way,are you now still in China or you have gone to America to spend your summer vocation? thank you for all the photos and the passeges you write!!it brings me happiness.
2nd September 2008

Thanks...
Thank you Herr Schneider for this blog. I have learned so much from China from you. It's such a beautiful country, I hope I can visit one day.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb