#99 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Thoughts on China's Tragic Earthquake, and my most recent visit to the 29th Olympic City, Beijing)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
May 28th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Throughout history, there have been a multitude of catastrophies, in which animals have given us warnings of impending disasters. One recent tragedy, that stands out in my mind, is the "great tsunami" in Indonesia only a few years ago. Elephants in large numbers, to the surprise of the inhabitants, stampeded toward higher grounds as the monster sea-waves approached the shores. The people of the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #10Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #10
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #10

Wangfujing Street is a "pedestrian mall" in the very center of the city, connecting the old city with the new. The shops will offer anything your money can buy.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #11Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #11
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #11

Beijing is a city of trees, providing shade for pedestrians during the hot summer months.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #12Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #12
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #12

One way to spend a great day in Beijing is simply to walk and to explore, especially the inner city, where the new merges with the old. From the main avenues, smaller streets stretch into sections of Beijing, that simply love to be explored. Surprises will await a visitor at every corner, from flea markets to the most exotic foods. They are all to be experienced.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #13Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #13
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #13

Near the pedestrian mall called Wangfujing Street, small shops will sell you every imaginable trinket, from Mao's little "Red Book", in English of course, to some wonderful silk items. It is a street not to be missed.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #14Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #14
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #14

Nearby the pedestrian mall is another road, well known for its exotic delicacies. It is another narrow street, that is well worth a visit. Some of the selected food items are offered in the next few photos.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #15Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #15
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #15

Larva of the silk worms are offered on a skewer, and will be prapared to your specifications.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #16Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #16
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #16

Large insects, and these are "wasps", are a particular favorite, and they don't come cheap. They were selling rather quickly.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #17Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #17
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #17

Centipedes, skinned snake, starfish etc. are all available to aficionados of fine foods. The street is visited by tourists, some of whom will try a few of the tid-bits, and some even seem to appreciate the new flavors.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #18Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #18
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #18

Sea-horses are slightly more crunchy than a thick potao-chip, and this fresh batch on scewers did not last long. I am not sure, what is offered on the left of the "horses".
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #19Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #19
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #19

Scorpions attract the attention of many tourists. It is said, their poison is neutralized when fried. I did see a Chinese lady purchase a number of scewers as "take-out".
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #20Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #20
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #20

Two happy customers enjoy their snack on a stick. These exotic food stands all along this street. They open a 5pm and offer their specialties until 10pm every day. The stand are located directly next to my hotel, and so I never went hungry.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #21Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #21
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #21

Just around the corner from the food stands of Wangfujing Street, trees once again shade from the summer sun, and walking becomes an afternoon joy. It is hard to believe, that we are only minutes from the fabled Tian'anmen Square, in the very heart of Beijing.
Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #22Beijing, the Green City,  Photo #22
Beijing, the Green City, Photo #22

Beijing's true life is a walk along these narrow streets, which hide the fabled "Hutongs" of Beijing. But sooner or later, all roads in Beijing lead toward the largest square in the world, Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City, known throughout centuries of Chinese Dynasties as the center of the world.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #1In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #1
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #1

I have visited this wonderful open space, Tian'anmen Square many times. Rarely have I noticed any police on the square. But this has changed. Security is now everywhere. Every corner now has scores of uniformed officers, who will check the bags and its content of everyone entering this open space, no matter if you are a tourist or a Chinese.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #2In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #2
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #2

Security vehicles are visible and quite noticable. No doubt it is part of the pre-security, as Beijing prepares for the opening of the 29th Olympic Games.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #3In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #3
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #3

Scrutiny of a bag's content is observed by several officers, and no one is spared this security check, including myself. Admittance into the square is restricted to only a few entry points, and as in any airport, none escape this new security measure.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #4In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #4
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #4

I observed the security checks, surrounding all of Tian'anmen Square, for some time from a distance. No one seemed to object. Tian'anment Square has a history, where individual or group discontent have been expressed, and the government will try to make sure, that this will not happen so close to the Olympic Games, as the eyes of the world are focused closely on Beijing.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #5In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #5
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #5

Once the security officers permit entry into the square, the immense size of the plot of concrete and stone overwhelmes, no matter how many visits.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #6In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #6
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #6

Standing within the center of the stone square, its becomes a vast open space, deminishing the size of the huge Tian'anmen Gate in the distance. You will know it as the gate, where the huge portrait of Chairman Mao is displayed.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #7In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #7
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #7

Standing at attention in front of Tian'anmen Gate, a lone PLA guard keeps on eye on throngs of visitors. This center span, was once used only by the emperor, and is once again off limits. Tourist now only use the smaller, parallel bridges leading toward the gate's entrance. Chaiman Mao's portrait is the object of reverence for all of the Chinese visitors.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #8In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #8
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #8

I wish I could speak Chinese and have a conversation with this elder gentleman, sporting the Mao suit of decades ago. What stories he could tell me, and what history he must have experienced on this square. It is rare to see anyone wearing these, once traditional, suits of the Mao era. What thoughts must pass through his mind, as a witness to the changes in his "new" China.



30th May 2008

Thank you very much!
Hello,Hans,first of all,thank you for today`s wonderful speech.I learn a lot from your speech.You know,I like travelling very much,too.But now,I must pay all my attention to my study.So,I don`t have spare time to travel.Fortunately I can know many beautiful places of intrest by your pictures.Thank you!You are a good man.I love you.Wish you great happiness!
31st May 2008

it's always such a pleasure hearing from you!
31st May 2008

Hello Mr. Schneider, i really like your travel blog. I am one of the few germans who just visited your city to learn chinese. Thank you for the time there. It was a real pleasure. Reading your travelblog now is like being in Taizhou again. =)
1st June 2008

hello ,Mr.hance.I'm sorry,it's my first time to enter your blog.It's great,Thank you very much .Because of you ,i know the responsibility for a teacher is sacred. You are very good teacher .Thank you .
1st June 2008

God Bless China. God Bless you. I miss you. One of your beloved students.
5th June 2008

Amazing earthquake blog
Hans, You know that I check your blogs every now and then because I taught in Jiansu province also (Nanjing). Your blog was the first that I heard of the frogs. A Chinese visitor here in Atlanta said she had heard of un-natural events that seemed to presage the earthquake. I will let her know about your blog. Your pictures were the first I saw of the swimming arena. Amazing architecture! Thanks for all you write and photograph.
8th June 2008

Hey!
I'm sooo glad you're okay schneider. I still miss you so much. This was a really sad post, but I am glad to have heard about the earthquake from you. Though it's the first I've heard about the frogs. The buildings for the Olympics are amazing. I only wish I could go and see it for myself. Stay well, keep writing and your photos are amazing!
12th June 2008

I love China, I love Beijing,and you, of course^_^
28th June 2008

hello,Mr.Schneider
you are my eyes to the world, Coz I have not much money to travel around.i love you.i am your fans.
4th July 2008

Thank you !!
I'd like to shake hands with you ,however,the situation does not permit ^_^ by the way,are you now still in China or you have gone to America to spend your summer vocation? thank you for all the photos and the passeges you write!!it brings me happiness.
2nd September 2008

Thanks...
Thank you Herr Schneider for this blog. I have learned so much from China from you. It's such a beautiful country, I hope I can visit one day.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb