Near death experience on the great wall!


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
July 5th 2015
Published: September 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

2600ft above sea level. Clinging onto a rock with a steep drop below us and the worlds longest man-made structure right in front of us. Chris already with a badly swollen knee, P in survival mode and a Chinese lad (we should really know the name of) completely terrified. Anxiety levels sky high, adrenaline pumping and all wondering how in the world did we get ourselves in such a predicament. Visit... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


The great wall was in reachThe great wall was in reach
The great wall was in reach

A short distance but a tricky climb
Looking down the way we cameLooking down the way we came
Looking down the way we came

It was a lot steeper than it looks




9th September 2015
The part we were too scared to climb

Too scared!
I'm not surprised you were too scared to climb this, it's nearly vertical and looks really crumbly. I also wonder how the heck did they manage to build it?
9th September 2015
The part we were too scared to climb

Too Scared
Too scared. - I'm happy that you agree. Makes me feel more justified that I was a trembling mess. The way the rock crumbled was the scariest part as you had to quickly move your grip. I will also never forget the landslide of rocks... Saying all of this I would do it again but would either have a guide or pay far much more attention in following the right path and not others ? Ps. I also thought of the people building this as we climbed up. The danger the people must have been in is unthinkable.
9th September 2015

Most Unforgetable Travel Adventure
As i read through your article, I can imagine the excitement, the difficulties and the horrifying experience you have in China. But then you always have to consider that when you travel there's always a possibility of endangering yourself in any situation no matter how safe you think you are. Be prepared at all times and never take your safety for granted wherever you might want to be. Good thing is you were able to survive that experience and I'm sure that would leave a mark in you as long as you will hear the word Great Wall of China.
9th September 2015

Most unforgettable travel adventure
We certainly will have flashbacks when that term 'Great Wall' is ever used. When reading over this blog, I did question whether we were too careless in getting to the point we did. A little yes. Although after 7 months of travel we would completely agree with your comment when you say that while travelling we are always at risk of danger even when danger does not cross our minds. We would be tad safer in an all inclusive resort but that simply is not us. We like to see the world find our own adventure. Thanks for your thought provoking comment Amy.
9th September 2015
Breath taking views

Experts in the Wild China!
You two are the most amazing climbers and adventurers--I remember you on vertical, limestone karsts, so if you were scared here, then it was really dangerous. Amazing that the path wasn't better marked since families were going up there, and they probably didn't have GPS. And thank goodness the flying rock his Chris' knee and not his head--I imagine it would be difficult to get a Chinese rescue team up there. Sorry you had to turn back in the end, but glad you did--I want to read more of your blogs!
10th September 2015
Breath taking views

Experts in Wild China
Thanks Tara. Afterwards our minds were filled with what ifs as well. Luckily the worse did not materalise although when we were mid way up missing that landslide we were both panicked. Not wanting to move an inch but acknowledgong like you said that we had little chance of rescue. Our safety was in our own hands. We had to make it to the top to find the correct way down. Not an experience we ever want to repeat!! Tells a good story however. One will will never forget.
9th September 2015

Jiankou Great Wall
A harrowing story indeed. Really surprised the sections of the Great Wall you traversed were not closed but seeing one of the signs in your pics maybe it was. Gotta say accessing the wall from villages is the way to go but if you get a taxi driver who takes you to the wrong part your lives are then in your hands. A travel story that will remain with you always so having survived the memories are the bright side. Great yarn and pics to back it up.
9th September 2015
Are we crazy?

Awesome
Yep you were crazy
10th September 2015

A few close calls!
That sounds seriously scary. And in answer to your question on one of the photos - yes you two are crazy, but in a good way :) Hope Part 2 of this story isn't far off...
10th September 2015

A few close calls
I think we were. Lol. We do try to maintain some sensibility when travelling but I guess in search of the Great 'unrestored' wall all that sense got little lost. We should be able to upload the next one later. Not too much more to the story luckily ?
10th September 2015

This is the most amazing story I've read about visiting the Great Wall...
You guys are nuts! I'm waiting for Part II.
10th September 2015

Craziest experience.
Got to say we was not prepared for such an adventure ourselves. Especially straight off the night train. One we will all remember I'm sure!

Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 42; qc: 168; dbt: 0.2541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.6mb