The Lift, the Wall and the Toboggan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
June 27th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

One of the things that immediately pop into your mind when anyone mentions China is the Great Wall and today we were lucky enough to get ourselves up and on it. We booked a trip through the hostel and after a slightly uncomfortable 2-hour mini-bus ride (seats weren't too soft and the air con was questionable) we were there.

Even before you get up to the wall, you can't help but be impressed with the sheer scale of it. It's not just a bit of wall you see, no, it goes on for hundreds and hundreds of miles. The place we went to was called Mutianyu and it was relatively tourist-free. We were told we'd be getting a cable car up to the wall but this turned out to be more like a ski lift! Basically we hunched down in a kind of seated position and waited for the seat to hit our bums at which point the Chinese attendants yelled 'sit, sit' so sit we did - and quickly as we had very little choice in the matter! The whole ski lift was a bit rickety but we made it to the top with no mishaps. Phew. Actually, getting off the lift was just as much fun as getting on, with the guys at the top yelling 'run, run' so naturally we ran!! :-)

The wall itself is just awesome. If the sight of it alone doesn't take your breath away, then I guarantee the climb up it will! In my mind, the Great Wall of China was a kind of rolling rampart where you could go for a nice, if slightly strenuous walk. I was wrong! To get to many of the places there are some flat bits but the majority of it is made up of steps of varying shapes and sizes, some so shallow you needed to jump 2 at a time, others so steep you had to clamber up them on all fours. I'm not sure how hot it was today but I think it was around 37 degrees centigrade so it was really hard work but our efforts were rewarded by magnificent views and the chance to walk on an unrestored part of the wall. Someone had told us that at one end of the restored area was a sign saying tourists weren't allowed but that no-one was guarding the area past it that leads to the unrestored bit and sure enough, it was true. We completely ignored the sign and found ourselves transported away from all the other tourists (most people didn't make it that far through exhaustion) and surrounded by beautiful scenery and nothing but crumbling walls and overgrown shrubbery - it was a real treat.

Thankfully the climb back down was much less tiring and we made it to the next stage of our day feeling energised and raring to go. Cue: toboggan run. Yes, that's right, we got a toboggan back down to the bottom! It was kind of like a rubber tray with wheels and a hand brake that shoots you down a big metal slide shaped like a proper toboggan run like you see at the Olympics! It was just the maddest thing to find anywhere, nevermind sitting at the bottom of the Great Wall of China and it wasn't long before we'd hopped on a rubber tray each and were hurtling down the mountainside at speeds of up to 30 miles and hour. Now it might not have been the safest thing to do and the flimsy 1 Yuan insurance cover they make you pay didn't instill either of us with much confidence, but Glynn was totally back in his old go-karting mentality again and I was feeling brave and, well, what can I say? Not only did we both live to tell the tale but it was a totally excellent experience and didn't seem nearly as dangerous as I first suspected. Wanna go again!

We made it back to the hostel safely with some of the best images still flashing in our minds. What a crazy day and not the way I ever expected to see the wall! We've had a leisurely evening just booking onward travel connections (we catch the train on Thursday to Xi'an but won't arrive till Friday!) and we've booked the next hostel - The Bell Tower in Xi'an for anyone who needs to know. We haven't heard much off anyone lately - come on you slackers, send us emails!!

Advertisement



27th June 2006

Cool! Linda likes Slides!
How far down did it go? How long did it last? Were there corners you had to lean into? Were you both going down the same track? If not, could you see each other and race? Any photos? I want to play! The Great Wall sounds like it was something to see as well :-)
27th June 2006

Your Mad!
Glad today was a better one for you in CHina - I was beginning to think you much preferred Japan overall.... Keep safe and smiling! Debs
28th June 2006

Great Walls of Fire!!!
Sounds like you're having an great time of it in China despite the hostel problems. It's interesting to hear about Japan, China and Hong Kong - it gives me a bit of insight into where my students come from!! Hope Xi'an is just as good!!
28th June 2006

sore bum
i bet you have a very sore bottom .i hope you have took plenty of photos im glad you have had the chance to go up the great wall we are glad you have had a nice time after all the trouble you had getting there speak to you both soon take care we love you both x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb