Christmas and new years at the Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
December 25th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Great WallThe Great WallThe Great Wall

Bringing in the new year on the Wall
As many of you know I spent Christmas and New years in 2006 in Beijing more accurately on the Great Wall of China. One of the 7th wonders of the world. it is incrediably over 2500 yrs old and over 6000 kms long you can walk to india apparently from China.

It was as I had imagined and only wished i could have been the only one there and not to share it with any other tourist.

New Years day it snowed on the wall it was like "magic" .
We spent new years eve in the middle of the city at a chinese restaurant having my first taste of peking duck...bought to the table by the chef and carved for us all to enjoy. Fantastic way to end one year and enter the next been in one of the cities I never imagined to be in.

It took us about an hour out side of Beijing to reach the Wall. It stands on the surrounding hills with so much power its presence in mesmerising.

The sun was just begining to rise over the hills and fog had settled into the mountain falling over the Wall
The Great WallThe Great WallThe Great Wall

Bringing in the new year on the Wall
but climbing it was never so much hard work the steps are so steep , uneven and very narrow but it trully warmed us up as it was minus ten....

It was trully one of those zen moments we have in life and stop and think about our life and its meaning.......but then it got cold and tiger beers were calling us back in the hotel bar.....heehhheeh

Then it was unto the Forbidden City Again the history behind China's ancient civilization is so long and expands through to mongolia even russia. It was trully fasinating and quiet amazing to be standing in a whole city bulit for the rulers of China and was only opened to the public so recently that even most of the walls and rooms are still untouched by man today. Very complex society.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BeijingBeijing
Beijing

New years night with the crew
BeijingBeijing
Beijing

my favourite chinese lanterns


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb