Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
April 20th 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have now reached our 2nd Country on our journey round Southeast Asia - Cambodia, and all I can say is WOW!! I love it here!! This country is one of the poorest in the world, and as soon as you are out of the tourist areas you can see this. They have lots of projects throughout the country to help the children, disabled people and the mine victims. The people here are very poor, they live in little wooden houses on stilts, and some houses have a sign in the garden with western family names on that have donated money to give that community a water pump. It is really amazing to see and a real eye opener on how these people live.

The Temples of Angkor were amazing!! It was a long very day, in the baking heat and by the end of it we were feeling a bit 'templed-out', but we enjoyed it.

Our next stop was Phnom Penh, we took a cramped and sweaty 6 hour bus journey there. When we arrived we didn't have any accomodation pre-booked, so we went on a hunt, we found a place that was adequate, but we made a very wise decision to just stay the night and move staright onto Sihanoukville which is by the sea, as we had had enough of cities, and Phnom Penh was stiffling!! So up at out by 7am and we made our way to the beach, on a much more comfortable and cool 4 hr bus journey.

Sihanoukville was lovely. It was our first time during our journey we were at the beach. When we arrived we went for something to eat, and had a lovely seafood platter on the beach. We didn't do a lot here other than just chill out and relax, which was something we were both craving for.

Back to Phnom Penh for 2 nights, again we didn't do anything here. We wanted to go to the royal palace as that looked magnificent, but between dad having an upset tummy, and me not sleeping properly and our time limitations we didn't quite make it. Although one interesting thing happened, we were sitting in an internet cafe, and dad was on the phone, I looked up and saw this massive bum strolling past the window, it was an elephant!!!!!!! I was hardly expecting an elephant to be walking down the main road of the capital city of Cambodia, so I went running out and down the road after it with my camera in hand, and it stopped at a resturant, out came the staff with a huge platter of fruit and bread to feed him with, and I helped to feed him, and that was the highlight of my day!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bayon TempleBayon Temple
Bayon Temple

The one with all the faces (my favourite)
Hungary???Hungary???
Hungary???

These are Tarantulas with a little seasoning


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb