A Day of Contrasts


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 25th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.5588, 104.917

Christmas Day seemed a distant concept this morning despite the Christmas tree in the foyer of the hotel. We were out bright and early for a bike ride on some of the islands in the Meekong River.. It was a lot of fun and luckily the roads were far less busy than on the mainland. However we did need to look out for cows.

One of the highlights was a stop at a silk factory where we saw silk worms and had the whole process through to weaving explained. Needless to say I do like my new scarf. There was never any doubt, it was just how much I was going to buy. The locals were again very friendly and all the kids calling out hello and wanting to high 5 us.

After lunch, a complete change of tone as we went to S-21, a school that was turned into a prison and interrogation centre under the Pol Pot regime and then out to one of the Killing Fields where thousands were murdered in mass graves. I found it quite overwhelming and beyond comprehension that the murder of almost 4 million people in 4 years has happened in my lifetime. And of course it still is happening In so many parts of the world. Cambodia is still quite a troubled place, struggling to have true elections and with huge population growth.

Tonight we are going to a restaurant by the river and the city is starting to come alive so hopefully I will feel less bemused by the world by the end of the night - or perhaps more so, depending on the cocktails consumed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



25th December 2016

Great photos Gaynor! Happy Christmas - it certainly looks to be a slightly different one to ours here in Auckland - enjoy! I am very impressed with your 'restraint' at the silk factory - that would have been a hard decision! Safe travels
and we look forward to the next instalment!
25th December 2016

Hi Gaynor, enjoying your news from the heat. We certainly know it's Christmas here in Invercargill. It's a break from the hard labour in Queenstown (and much cooler).
25th December 2016

I bet it was warmer than Wellington! Happy Boxing Day. Thanks for pic of silkworms - always wondered what they look like. I look forward to the next instalment of your travels (our Christmas has been a home-based family affair this year)
25th December 2016

Too much to drink last night?

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb