It's raining - quick get in the sea...!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sihanoukville - Cambodia's version of Blackpool but without the tack and the tarts and with added sun! It's a very nice beach town with those picture perfect white beaches and palm trees. It's just like walking into a postcard.

First afternoon after arriving from Phnom Penh we headed down to the beach for a bit a relax and chill out from the long drive! Went for a swim in the sea which is honsetly like swimming in a bath because it's that warm. It's pretty cool to be in a sea that warm and it certainly makes a pleasent change from going into the sea around England and coming out with hypothermia!

The next day we went to Bokor Hill Station which was built by the French in the 1920s to use as a high class gambling holiday resort. They surrendered it in the 70s (French are good at surrendering!!) and so now it's just direlict buildings, hotel, casino, chruch, post office etc. When we got there the hill station was entirely covered in cloud. Which was actually pretty cool as we were wandering in and out of these direlict buildings with clouds wisping around us. It gave the
In the jungle, the mighty jungleIn the jungle, the mighty jungleIn the jungle, the mighty jungle

With an added view of the back of Amy's head!
place a very spooky feel - the main casino looked like one of those haunted mansions from Scooby Doo cartoons! Bokor Hill Station is literally built on a massive hill, from the back of the casino there is a cliff (which gamblers would throw themselves off if they lost big!) which just descends down a thousand feet before the ground levels out to forest and then the coastline! Because of the cloud we coulddn't see the views that day however the next morning the clouds had parted and the views were breath-taking. Back in Sihanoukville that afternoon for a bit more beach - that night we went to a quiet and secluded beach to watch the sunset (which I definitely prefer over sunrise) and then had dinner on the beach with the waves crashing in about 2 feet away! A very nice way to dine!

Yesterday was the adventure day - a trip into Ream National Park - boat ride down a local river before finding a beach with absolutelty no-one else on it! Another swim in the sea and everything was going great and then... it rained! The rain was pretty cold so we got out of the
Another great pic!Another great pic!Another great pic!

I should be a photographer!
sea trying to find some shelter before thinking 'hang on - it's warmer in the sea!' and so we took the decision to get back in! By now it's a good tropical downpour and there we are huddled in the sea to keep warm!! One of the wierdest experiences so far but still very cool! After leaving the beach (once the rain had stopped!) we had a half hour trek in the jungle which was pretty damn good - exactly what I imagined it would be like - packed with trees and undergrowth, very green (!), noisy with the insects buzzing around - half way through, in a clearing was a local village school with kids very interested in staring at the funny western people!

So that was a pretty good day - finished it of with a good drinking session in a bar next to the hotel - my excuse for the hangover is that the single Jack Daniels and Coke were like triples and i'm sticking to it!

That brings us up-to-date, today was just a travelling day - i'm now in Trat back in Thailand - tomorrow we head to the island of Ko Chang and what promises to be that perfect deserted island!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The casino on Bokor Hill StationThe casino on Bokor Hill Station
The casino on Bokor Hill Station

See what I mean about Scooby Doo mansion!!


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb