Beach Life


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 22nd 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After the past week or so of physically draining days of exlporing the temples at Angkor and the emotionally draining day of visiting the Killing Fields and S-21 in Phnom Penh, it is definetly time for some R&R on the beach.

The south-west coast of the gulf of Thialand in Cambodia is lined with beautiful beaches along green waters. The water is warm and the breeze is just what we need to feel comfortable after a super-hot and humid week.

We hit the beach right away and it felt so nice to get in the ocean and swim around. The water was as warm as a bath but somehow still refrshing since it was cooler than the air. When the sunset (beautifully) the water was warmer than the air and getting out meant a refreshing coolness sweeping over our bodies. The girls on the beach selling bracelets and such came by and gave us pedicures! My toes have never looked and felt so beautiful!!

One our second day, Jana joined us from Phnom Penh. We has seen her the past couple of nights to have dinner but it was nice to have her company on the beach. She stayed with us at our guesthouse for a couple of days as well before heading back to her adopted family in Koh Kong where she is doing her Masters research and next week back to Halifax to start writing her thesis!! She has a fantiastic time here and it was fun to learn about it. She also had some good advice about Vietnam. She has convinced me also that I need to get my scuba diving certification while I am here. She suggessted in Nha Trang so I am going to check it out. It will be scary but I love snorekeling and I think I am brave enough!

Speaking of snorkeling, we took a little boat trip to the islands one day. We met two fabulous english girls and spent the day with them on the beach on Bamboo island and off two ther islands snorkeling. There wasn't a whole lot to see but it was great fun anyway. It was also nice to get away from the people constantly trying to sell us their food and jewelry on the beach!

The next day we went into town to volunteer at an Orphanage that is getting ready to open up in a couple of months. It is being started by two english women as an NGO. There si lots of community support for it as there is sadly a need for this sort of thing in Sihaknouville. There are no children there now as the house needs a lot of fixing up, so that's exactly what we did. Brookes painted and I cleaned the dirt and grime off the gflagstone gate and walls. Brookes and an American, Eric, also helped me with the wall and by then end it was looking fabulous!! There were quite a few travellers helping out and I think the Khmers thought it was funny to see so many foreigners working instead of lounging on the beach!

Afterwards we headed to a little cafe at the end of the street where I had my first taste of peanut butter in 2 months! YUM! It even prompted me to buy a mini-jar at the super market later on (i feel a bit guilty about that!). We had some delicious Baracudda fish and squid for dinner and being our last night, we headed to a beach party at night.

It is back to Phnom Penh now for a night before heading to Vietnam on Monday (Feb. 27).

Advertisement



27th February 2006

smiles!
good on ya girls.. sounds like more and more fun by the minute! keep smiling - dare i suggest its impossible not to!!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb