Sun, Sea and Child Prostitution...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ahhhh Cambodia... Free roaming monkeys, gold temples, huge mountains, amazing beaches, cheap beer, children holding hands with fat, middle-aged men... hang on...

Yes, you heard me correctly. The country is amazing, apart from the hideousness of having to see children touting around bars and nightclubs.

There is also the small issue of the history of the place... Basically about 30 years ago there was this guy called Pol Pot, who despite sounding like cutlery, was a pretty nasty chap. Actually, he makes Hitler look like a pretty little girl guide. He culled the community of anyone educated, and buried them in mass graves at the Killing Fields... which was perhaps a little harsh. This is especially true when you visit the Killing Fields and there are pieces of human bone under your feet as you walk across the grass...

Anyway, I don't want to bring people down, so you can research it yourself if you feel the need.

We visited Ankor Wat, which was actually quite impressive, despite the fact that we had to get up at 4am to watch a sunrise... Our tour guide was quite lucky that I was too tired and disorientated to beat her to death with her own guide book. I won't bore you with the history... but they filmed some of Tomb Raider there...

Travelling in Cambodia is an experience... We jumped on a boat (which looked like a barge with a jet strapped to the back) and were told there were no seats left, so we'd have to sit on the roof. We were then propelled across the lake at close to 300mph, clinging to the roof as bags, books and small children went flying past us into the lake.

The beach at Sihanoukville is amazing though, and the bar Monkey Republic does an amazing dish of Peppers stuffed with BBQ pork... seriously. You'll also find that there are people on the beach selling lobsters at a rate of 6 for a Dollar... you won't go hungry.

I realise that this isn't the longest story in the world, but hey, it's concise.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb