A kayaking Christmas :)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
December 25th 2018
Published: December 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Merry Christmas!Merry Christmas!Merry Christmas!

Spot the deliberate spelling mistake...
Christmas in paradise

I woke up this morning to the sound of the sea and a gentle breeze. Getting up Stephen was sitting out on the balcony, finishing off my Christmas card. There was a clear, blue sky and a gentle breeze. Already scorching we enjoyed some mini bananas before heading to the bar.

One of the first people up we finally managed to get the comfy chairs and enjoyed some muslei with fruit & yoghurt before grabbing a couple of kayaks and going for a paddle. Well sun-creamed up we set off towards the mangrove river.

The first part of the paddle is across the bay. Paddling past an empty golden sandy beach with palm trees along the edge, past the local fishermen, on Christmas morning was pretty cool. At the end of the bay there’s the entrance to the mangrove river. Paddling upstream we had to go under the wooden road bridge. Being high tide this consisted of lying flat on our backs as we used our hands to push us through. It was a rather tight gap.
We carried on paddling upstream until the river became very narrow and the trees started to block our path. Stopping in the shade of the mangrove trees for a snack we then headed back towards the hostel.
During our little paddle so saw a couple of hornbills - they’re so much bigger than I had realised. We also saw little fish, storks, a fish eagle and what we think was a monkey. It was a lot of fun.

The afternoon was spent reading whilst it rained and then going swimming once the shower passed. We wrote a little Christmas message in the sand and Stephen went exploring for sea life.

In the evening we enjoyed mulled wine and Christmas songs before indulging in their special Christmas menu.
The day ended with a nighttime swim to see the shiny plankton. They were amazing - so many more than on our first night. Like swimming through a huge tub of green, glowing glitter. Such a weird and enjoyable experience.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kayak selfie!Kayak selfie!
Kayak selfie!

I still don’t know how we got away with this without loosing the phone...


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb