NOT NOW, NOT LATER


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 17th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hiaku

****** Tuk-tuk drivers call!!!
****** Far, near, even bicycling
****** It does NOT matter.


these drivers, numbering in the thousands, are always in your face. trying to sell you something, anything. tuk-tuk, mr.? drugs, mr.? lady for boom boom, mr.? the street i am currently residing on is particularly bad, as it is full of hotels. let me be clear that the locals also endure these guys as i witnessed yesterday when one of the number of buses that stops in front of my hotel arrived. it appeared to come near to fist to cuffs.

after a half day of this, one driver called to me for the umpteenth time, "maybe later". my response was, "not now, not later". everyone got a kick out of this, some more good-naturedly than others, and i am now known as 'NOT NOW, NOT LATER'.

this same driver did not give up. we chatted for a long time the following day. the entire time was spent deffending his practice, as he understandably needs to eat, while simultaneously asking me to come play volleyball. 'í could pay and they would play' is what was actually said to me.

ps. and yes i was on a bicycle in siem reap, when a passing driver offered me a ride in his already full tuk-tuk.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.462s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb