Heartbreak and Hope in Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
September 20th 2014
Published: September 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hot, dirty, chaotic, desperately poor and utterly charming - welcome to Phnom Penh. Once called the "Paris of the East", there's a lot to see and do in the Cambodian capital, so I'd set myself a busy few days.

I started with a visit to the Royal Palace, which is also home to the Silver Pagoda. The grounds and buildings are beautiful, and after the tour busses of the north in Siem Reap, it seemed blissfully empty. The busiest place was not surprisingly the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Silver Pagoda), home to the Buddha of the Future. Made from 90kg of pure gold and bejewelled with over 2000 diamonds some more than 25 carats big, it was truly spectacular and very beautiful.

Just up the road is the National Museum, which although housing an impressive array of exhibits, more than 5000 pieces, just reminded me how much I prefer to see things in their natural settings. I also visited both the Central Markets and the Russian Markets, resisting all attempts to sell me tourist tat I don't want or need. I also squeezed in a visit to Wat Phnom.

One of the reasons to visit Phnom Penh was to learn more about the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge, who wreaked havoc in Cambodia from 1975-1979.

Tuol Sleng was a former secondary school, however when the Khmer Rouge came to power they converted it into a prison and, not to put too fine a point on it, a torture centre. Thousands of innocent people - teachers, monks, doctors, students, foreigners, diplomats, engineers and so on - were "interrogated" here and forced to make confessions to made up transgressions. Unimaginable horrors took place here and now a museum, it was difficult to see the meticulously recorded photographs of victims, and read about the atrocities that were performed. I was also shocked to see a copy of the "confession" by New Zealander Kerry Hamill as part of the exhibition, alongside an Australian victim's confession as well.

If prisoners survived the torture, they were sent to the 'killing fields', where death was certain. One of Pol Pot's many deranged sayings was, "It's better to kill an innocent by mistake than spare an enemy by mistake". Around 20,000 innocent people lost their lives at what is now the Choeung Ek Genocidal Centre. It's shocking to think that is only one of around 300 killing fields in Cambodia. Men, women, young, old, children and babies: no one was spared. Reports differ, but somewhere between one quarter and one third of the population was killed by Pol Pot and his army in the lunacy of killing innocents by mistake in case of sparing an enemy. It was a very difficult place to visit; visiting the killing fields was truly heartbreaking.

As a result of Pol Pot's madness, Cambodia has a very young population. One article I read suggests that around 50%!o(MISSING)f all Cambodians are under 20 years old, which places a heavy financial burden on younger family members. This in turn has been one of the contributors to another Cambodian tragedy, the sex trade. I visited one organisation which provides some hope for an alternative.

Daughters of Cambodia was set up to support girls who have been victims of trafficking. It aims to empower the young women to leave the sex industry through teaching them skills that will help them find other employment. Although unwillingly sold into prostitution, usually by their families, they don't leave because of the overwhelming pressure to send money back to the families in the provinces (yes, the same ones who sold them into prostitution in the first place). Daughters of Cambodia now run several businesses including two cafes, a spa, a gift shop, and a hotel. The businesses serve as training organisations, and pay above market wages to both upskill and provide alternatives to working in brothels. Specialist health care and counselling is also provided, amongst other programs to support the young women. The aim is that one day all these businesses will be completely self sustaining, and some of them already are. Women spend up to two years with the Daughters of Cambodia, and 98% of the "graduates" do not return to sex work. They've also recently started a new organisation called Sons of Cambodia, which supports "ladyboys". It's a really fantastic organisation giving genuine hope and opportunity to young women that there is life outside of the sex industry.

If you're ever in Phnom Penh I would encourage you to go their visitor centre and cafe. Apart from anything else the food is sensational.

My final day was quite a sombre one, following the visit to the killing fields, so a gentle cruise down the river seemed like a fitting end. It comes alive in the evenings, filled with Cambodians enjoying the last of the sun - there were exercise classes, boys playing soccer, families having dinner. It was a good way to purge the memories from the past. Phnom Penh is dirty and chaotic, but it is brimming with life and hope for the future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



20th September 2014

Great descriptions
We stayed above an Irish Pub across from the Palace. It was an interesting place. Next time I see you remind me to tell you about the rat. You have described Pol Pot's madness very well. The smells were sometimes over powering in this city with all the humidity. Do they still drag all the garbage out to the street in front of each business and let it sit until it gets removed? Stay safe and enjoy.
20th September 2014

Phnom Penh
I think I know the Irish pub, I've driven past it a few times. It looks like fun. Yes the rubbish just sits in the street for days....I actually wasn't sure that anyone picked it up! Obviously all adding to the smells that become overwhelming...certainly sometimes the smells that have wafted past my nose have made me want to employ a nosepeg! I shall look forward to the story about the rat... I haven't had any wildlife encounters so far (touch wood). I see more rats in the park in Sydney on my walk home!
20th September 2014
Outside the Royal Palace

Such contrasts!
The Royal Palace photos are stunning, and such a contrast to the stories from the torture center and the killing fields. Good thing you started and ended with beauty! I've a Cambodian colleague whose professor father was taken, tortured and killed when she was a tiny girl. Her mother took her and the other children into the jungle in the dead of night to escape into Thailand where she grew up in a pretty terrible refugee camp. It sounds as if life is still rough for many Cambodians; thank goodness for organizations helping young women escape the sex trade. Palaces and prostitution--contrasts indeed!
21st September 2014
Outside the Royal Palace

Contrasts
What a terrible experience for your colleague, but wise for her mother to have left. Another one of Pol Pot's deranged sayings was that to eradicate the grass you need to kill the roots. By that he means that his soldiers wouldn't just kill the "enemy" but the entire family so that no one can come back for revenge. Terrible. You're right the palace was a complete contrast!
21st September 2014

PP Love
Love your photos of the Royal Palace. Have you been to the Foreign Correspondents Club yet? I know it's an expat hangout and not very local, but a sunset drink at the window overlooking the river is pretty cool :)
21st September 2014

Phnom Penh
Thanks - I really enjoyed the Royal Palace, very beautiful. I did go to the FCC yesterday but for lunch. I liked it there! I'm off to Sihanoukville today so won't have the chance for sunset drinks unfortunately.
21st September 2014

A very sobering read this time. But the rest of Cambodia is really rather lovely. Good result for the election we thought. Lucy staying for a couple of days as it is her holidays now. Still packing fragiles.
21st September 2014

Yes, I saw the results. Did you get the picture I sent? Say hello to Lucy for me. Let me know if you want to Skype tomorrow.
22nd September 2014

Reflections
I couldn't visit the Killing Fields...I know enough about it to definitely not think I could cope. That said I agree it is inescapable to not see its effect on the population. Yet the people exhibit smiles that not only reflect their hope but makes me feel they may have the disposition to succeed in having happy lives. I hope so.
22nd September 2014

Reflections
You are right not to visit, I found it very upsetting. I knew a lot about what happened, but didn't fully appreciate the extent of the atrocities. It was a very difficult visit, but important not to forget. Unfortunately it's not the last genocide of our time....

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb