Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
September 25th 2010
Published: September 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia

Hi Guys,

Ho Chi Minh City - Phnom Penh

7 hour bus trip, normal seats hooray. Horn - High pitched non stop hell!

The Cambodia border crossing hassle free. Visa on arrival ($50), with the assistance of the driver made it a breeze. We had been warned of fake officials who would try and fleece us at the crossing.

First impression on Cambodia. On entering the country there were lots of big casino's and impressive buildings. As the miles ticked by that changed to shack houses, rice fields and wet lands. There was lots of construction going on and new roads being laid.

Phnom Penh.

Busy city life, lots of cars,trucks and scooters. ( One scooter - with a dead chicken strung up by it's feet and swinging from the handle bars, you have to laugh )

Quad biking was great fun and a good way to get out of the city. The trip went through small villages and the kids came running out to wave and shout hello, it was wicked. We went over the most rickety bridge ever with planks of wood missing ( heart in mouth ) I tried to get over faster than Paddy ( not hard ) I didn't think the bridge would take the strain of the two of us!!

From a high to low and very sad Killing fields and S - 21

We visited The Killing Fields and paid our respects to those that had died at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. It is so hard to believe that horrific regime was in our life time absolute barbaric.

Because of this

41% of the population is under 15 years

Average age is 21

Only 3.6% of the population is over 65

When the Khmer Rouge regime seized power they had murdered approx 1/5 of their own citizens.

S - 21 Torture camp.

Horrific to walk around seeing the cells, tools of torture. There were hundreds of photographs of children, women and men that had died at the hands of the regime.


Siem Reip

We arrived by bus just for a change with a good driver. At the depot a tuk tuk driver was waitng to take us to the hotel. At reception we were told there were no rooms left but there was room at their sister hotel which was more basic and on the otherside of town. The tuk tuk got us halfway to the hotel and his mobile rang it was for me. The fully booked hotel now had a room for us. A quick u turn back to the first hotel. Not much of an apology. The room they have is going to cost us more, as we had a long day, we gritted our teeth and agreed.

Angkor Wat - Very impressive I will let the pictures do the talking. Paddy was dissapointed no sign of Lara Croft.


Feeling on leaving Cambodia,

Extremly sad for what these guys have gone through in the past is heartbreaking.

Visiting as a tourist dissapointed in the fact every corner you turn someone is trying to rip you off. When tourism is fairly new economy here, they are going about it the wrong way to encourage people back. Giving them the benefit of the doubt they are a very young generation and maybe still have a lot to learn!

Final squeeze on our wallet when flying out $50 charge for leaving the country.

Back to Thailand, Bangkok and the land of smiles.

Get in!

















Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Phnom PenhPhnom Penh
Phnom Penh

Paddy and Pizza our tuk tuk driver.
Phnom PenhPhnom Penh
Phnom Penh

Covered in mud from head to foot, only me everyone else dodged the puddles. oops!!
The Killing FieldsThe Killing Fields
The Killing Fields

Memorial statue.
The Killing FieldsThe Killing Fields
The Killing Fields

The memorial statue, filled with skulls, bones and clothes from the atrocities of Pol Pot era.
S - 21S - 21
S - 21

One of the cells. It felt chilling and eerie in there!
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Paddy bumped into his X mrs while we were there!!


25th September 2010

What a wicked write up was waiting for that part of your trip Job well done
25th September 2010

Great
Was looking forward to your views on this part of the world Great write up .............. enjoyed that one alot Cheers
26th September 2010

Some cracking pictures there! Killing fields look interesting but sad! And Angkor Wat; going to goole now! :P xx
27th September 2010

Mary sent me your blog this will be first time i have read one not much it to computers but trying. You both look as if your haveing the time of your life. Keep safe and well.Love you do know ? the one how exercises my gob at pool. love jean xx Looking forward to seeing more.
29th September 2010

mum sent copy of this blog as i did not receive it, looking good guys stress free life agrees with you both, great write up on Cambodia, killing fields looked amazing, but very sad memories for millions, fabulous photos. take care love Tom
3rd October 2010

Hi guys! Another great blog! Hope yas have a great week in Thailand again..love the quad bikes..i be the same Kaz not looking out for the puddles..Take care Big hugs! xx
5th October 2010

Wow
You certainly have put some planning into this trip, its like watching the Discovery chanel, well done

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb