Market Mayhem


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
April 19th 2010
Published: July 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

With a week free in the Easter holidays, my friend and I decided to find a short flight to somewhere sunny where we could relax for a week!

With our last minute options limited, we found a flight to Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia. In a small boutique hotel and most importantly a swimming pool, we relaxed, read books and enjoyed the sunshine before braving the chaotic streets of the city...

Tuk Tuks took over on the roads, and there was always a big sense of hustle and bustle in true Asia style. We began to get used to driving across lanes of traffic, and watching motorbikes go by loaded with stuff! There was something unique on every corner, whether it be a barber shop on the street or a glass bottle stand of petrol for sale. On foot, we attempted to cross roads and avoid potholes in the ground! At one road crossing, a motorbike turned the corner in front of us, carrying a bunch of ducks on each side hanging by their feet - beaks tapping against the ground as he turned!!!

The markets in Phnom Penh were great for a bit of bargain shopping, particularly the Russian market, full of bright materials, summer dresses, purses, scarves, bamboo items, and more....it went on and on. We sweltered through in the name of shopping and got some good bargains.

The food markets were a little more intense - I was wary of jumping fish and dead bits of meat hanging around!!

Opposite our hotel was a hairdressers so I decided to brave it and got myself a $2 USD hair cut! One of my best bargains I think. $1 for the shampoo and $1 for the cut! Needless to say it was basic, they all stared at me as the family were sat on the floor playing cards, but hey, it turned out fine!

Thank goodness for the swimming pool - it was a welcome relief to escape the heat after a daily excursion!!!
J xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



8th July 2010

Haircut
And where are the pictures of the haircut?!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb