Too late I remebered the river


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 4th 2009
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

the coach to Bangkokthe coach to Bangkokthe coach to Bangkok

Waiting for departure to Bangkok.
This afternoon I ate Tom Yam Kung a very spicy thai riverprawn soup. Excellent quality. Too late however I remembered that yesterday I saw the river and the water quality was not where I as prawn should like to live.

Phnom Penh 1,4 million inhabitants about 20% of Cambodian population. Has not much changed in the last 10 years. Some new buildings not too high. On the route from the border lots of new small schools where children probably in 2 shifts get their lessons.

People in Cambodia don t look very happy. I always wonder when I m walking around town and seeing men of 50 plus if they were victim or torturer or guard during the Khmer Rouge period 1976/1979.In this period Khmer Rouge killed something between 1.5 and 2 million people on a total of not even 9 million.
They never finished this part of recent history. The killers sometimes live still in the houses of the ones they killed, and the family of the killers and the victims know. Cambodians don t like to talk about that time.

Remembering this time are "the killing fields" not only a movie but a huge massgrave where
woodwoodwood

They sell everything.
10 years ago when I visited Cambodia for the first time the bones still were visible as you moved a bit with a foot in the sand.

Pricelevel for tourists stay unbelievable high. What they have to offer?
- Angkorwatt the most beautiful temple site I ever saw
- Angkor Beer
- Killing fields
- Torture prison an old school in Phnom Penh were they killed the victems not by shooting( too expensive) but by hammer.

And for the rest it s a poor country with not much visible development and not really working hard to improve.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb