Day 25 - Move to Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
August 13th 2015
Published: August 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 25 - Move to Siem Reap

We had a strange night. We went to bed at a reasonable time in order to be on the ball this morning. At 2.30, we both woke up too hot, needing a drink and the toilet... Weird!

Up and out ok, packed, and down for breakfast in good time. This is a first, I am not having an omelette his morning! Really enjoying the muesli, and having French toast with salad, finishing off with a little chocolate croissant and some fresh fruit.

It is my first trial run of picking up, and carrying my backpack since the accident, then the failing if the wheeled suitcase!

I did it! I can manage to carry it with one arm, over my left shoulder. I don't think I could do it for a long distance, but for short distances, I'm ok!

The taxi will be here at 8.30 to take us to the airport for our 40 min internal flight to Siem Reap.

Well, that flight was short and sweet, no problems, straight through. The pre planned hotel pick up tuk tuk was there on time too. We were driven along the entrance straight road, into the more dense, and busy market area where we are staying at the royal Crown Spa Hotel. It was a nice cold drink reception on arrival. The room is good again. We also have a balcony, no view, but we do prefer having a balcony. It's great for that last cup of tea and a reflection chat about the day!

Our bags get delivered by the bell boy, Helen gets straight on with my washing. She's not doing hers anymore as she leaves in 4 days, but as I am moving in to India, she is kindly doing mine for me.... Due to my injury! I'll do miss her when she's gone! She has many responsibilities; keeper of the kitty, tip person, clothes washer, phone battery charger, and carrier and finally handbag carrier! So apart from being great company, I will also miss all of these other, extra qualities.... Lol

We got sorted the went out for our first view, orientation walk of the area.

We set out, then go over a small bridge to hit a full on cramped market. There are so many bars, shops, eating places and beauty/ massage places. It's all you can see!

We sit down to plan our time here.

The first thing we really want to do is obviously, to spend a day at Angkor Wat. We would prefer to see a sunrise there. We are going to talk to the hotel concierge about that one!

The next thing is a local countryside bike tour on Saturday morning. I have done it in the Internet, with the help of instant chat with the company, but am waiting for email confirmation.

The last thing is a sunset boat tour to Kompong Khleang, with evening meal. That one has been confirmed. That will be our time in Siem Reap fully sorted. I do get a bit agitated when trying to book these sort of things, but we got there in the end!

Once sorted, we set out into the market. Helen bought a beautiful 18k gold necklace to go with the jade pendant that she bought in Vietnam.

We bought other bits and pieces. We agreed that it was time to eat. There are just so many different eating places, it was so difficult to chose, but finally we got seated at a table. I ordered dinner. I have to say, another nice meal!

A guy came and dat on the table next to ours. He was on his own, we got chatting. His name is Trevor, he is clearly older than us! He is Australian, but lives here for 3 months of the year. He is a volunteer worker on a village project called New Hope Cambodia. We had a really interesting 3 hours chatting with him. He gave us lots of helpful information for visiting Anglor Wat. Amazing stuff. Food for thought for me!

He contacted a tuk tuk driver that will take us to Angkor Wat tomorrow for the sunrise, and to go between temples, at a fair price too. He is picking us up at 5am.

So that is the final part of our plan set for Siem Reap!

I am excited for tomorrow. I am feeling excited for Angkor Wat in the same way that I was excited about seeing the Taj Mahal!

It would be an absolute bonus if we did get a sunrise too!

We got a tuk tuk back to the hotel. It's been a long day, and we both are tired. We need to get showered and ready for the early rise tomorrow. We paid over the top, $2, but we paid it without haggling, as we just needed to get back!

As we have chatting for three hours, there aren't many photos today! But tomorrow's pictures should make up for it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb