Weighing One Dollar in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 29th 2011
Published: February 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

"Do you want to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia?

My mother tilted her head. "I've already seen it," she said in Korean.

"No, you haven't. What do you mean you've seen it?"

"Yes, I did," she said. Wait for iiiiiiiit. "On documentary!" Classic mom moment.


Siem Reap



I realized too late that passport photos are required to receive a Cambodian entry-visa. We entered without photos, but luck was on our side and we were charged an extra US$1/person on top of the standard US$20/person visa-on-arrival fee.

(Note: We didn't exchange any of our US dollars as it's interchangeable with the Cambodian Riel. Along those lines, the US$ to Cambodian Riel exchange rate was ludicrous even for the expected, inflated airport rate.)

Kong, our taxi driver from the airport, seemed reliable, so we agreed to use his taxi at a daily rate of $25. My mom wouldn't last long in a tuk-tuk, vulnerable to the sun like a newly made vampire, even with 200SPF sunscreen, a hat and long sleeves--very Korean.

When booking our accommodation online, I added the note: No smoking. We would greatly appreciate a good view. Thank You. I don't believe anybody reads these requests, but always fill in the box because it's there.

When we found ourselves on the top floor, smack in the middle of the hotel with the best view (no bribes involved!) looking at the big, yellow air-balloon that goes up-and-down next to Angkor Wat, I decided I'll continue filling in the note box from here on out.


First Impressions



My friends warned that the temples would be overrun with Chinese tourists. I laughed at the irony when I realized the busloads of tourists are full of Koreans. Many of the restaurants lining National Route 6 (the Airport Road with many hotels) are Korean, too. I wondered, Where did Cambodia go?

The hotel buffet even served kimchi . . . for breakfast. It was a plus in my mom's book who was now convinced that busloads of Koreans are traveling like swarms over Southeast Asia and that many hotels serve breakfast kimchi. Up to this point, I had yet to run into to so many Korean tourists outside of Los Angeles. I shared this with my mom who replied, "It's a seasonal thing." I briefly entertained the idea of Koreans falling from the sky like a spring shower, landing on the ground and immediately boarding the buses that awaited their arrival.

Taking a lazy first day, we wandered to Pub Street for some Khmer food at the Cambodian Soup Restaurant. It was here that we encountered our first salesman, er, salesboy. People sitting at surrounding tables gave glances in our direction. Four waitresses stood around waiting for our response to the boy's sales pitch.

The boy, about 10-13, laid out postcards on our table and said, "Puh-lease, buy postcards."

I asked my mom in Korean, "Do you want any?" She shuffled through the postcards without giving sign as to whether she would buy them or not.

"Please," he said with the most heartbreaking, lower-lip inflating pout that all children master early on, "only one dollah."

Having received forewarning, I urged my mom in Korean, "Ummah, if you want them, I'll buy them for you, but if you don't, we shouldn't mislead him into thinking we'll buy them."

Nodding in agreement, she said, "Next time. Not today." I translated to the boy.

He replied, "No later. Today. Now." Blinking, blinking his big, puppy-dog
Doctor FishDoctor FishDoctor Fish

My mother is happy here. She found the fish massage very relaxing while I gave up after multiple attempts. No fish nibbles for these sensitive toes.
eyes.

Trying to stay polite and not wanting to encourage the begging, I said, "Sorry, we're not interested right now."

"Later too late! Now!"

As much as I'm a sucker for kids, I'm not a fan of tantrums. "No. Thank you." Final answer.

He stood there as we waited for food in awkward silence. He continued pleading until one of the waitresses finally told him off with sharp words and a gentle hand on his shoulder after which all the waitresses laughed and focused their attention elsewhere.

Later on, we saw a couple sit down in the restaurant across from us. Another child immediately approached them with a pile of postcards, and we watched the event like everyone else.


How Far Does $1 Go?



You're in Cambodia where young children, teenagers and adults everywhere seem to be asking--some selling, others scamming--for a $1. How many of them will you give $1 or more? I have yet to live or visit a place where the following groups do not exist: beggars, the impoverished, the few rich, the NGOs, the corrupt, tourists/expats, not always exclusive or inclusive of each other.

In the States, most homeless people hold signs for money along with a canister for change. If the signs are especially creative or make me laugh, I give money because I feel making another person laugh is a valuable gift. When I was younger, I could rarely keep a dollar bill in my wallet if somebody was begging because I thought the guilt would eat me inside out.

Now, I rarely give money to somebody who is begging. Part of the reason is that the situation is much more complex than having money or not having money, and try as I might, I still don't have a full grasp on the inner-workings of charities unless I'm physically working with them.

I've volunteered in women's shelters that provide babysitting while poor or abused mothers look for jobs, and my K-12 schooling often encouraged or arranged volunteer work or donations for homeless shelters. I think social programs are one-up on donating money, but even then, social programs tend to have their own failings and many corrupt charities consume unnecessary amounts of donations instead of giving it to the intended recipients.

I remember seeing one particularly extravagant and gorgeous architectural building in London belonging to a globally recognized charity and thinking, Did the money go to the right place? That same money or even construction could have gone towards their raison d'être, I found myself feeling self-righteous and judgmental. Then again, flip the question on its head, don't charitable people deserve rewards or must it be 100%!s(MISSING)elfless? Perhaps some well-to-do person had offered to build the lavish offices as a charity, who knows? I always end up in a philosophical debate questioning the possibility of selflessness and the bad name selfishness receives.

I've also heard counter-arguments that some charities, though full of good intentions, end up replacing local jobs (say, in construction and home building), or make it more difficult for people to become self-reliant. I've also ranted before on religious NGOs that oftentimes ask for a return in spiritual belief (payment by souls, I like to call it).

I concede that I have met altruistic people with good intentions, but there's something about charities that attracts a lot of scammers, too. Then there are the in-betweeners, people who go looking for self-validation, others who expect something in return, and still others who go for the experience and stories.

I thought about some children I had seen in Chiang Mai who were dressed in local costume and made to perform for money. I waited to see what would happen when a tourist gave them money. Out of nowhere, their mother (maybe) took the money from the children and scolded them to stop being lazy and continue performing (I assumed this from her gesticulations).

I sat wondering about the boy with the postcards. He was nowhere to be seen.

Surely he didn’t create those postcards. Where did the money go? How was it split up? Shouldn’t he be in school?

About five years ago, I was pretend assaulted by a homeless man while in the States. What fascinated me about the encounter was that he had waited for the precise moment when a police squad was near, so that when he began yelling incoherently and raising his fists at me the police ran over and arrested him.

One of the officers returned to ask if I was okay, which I was, and said I probably wouldn't have been assaulted. "In the wintertime," he explained, "a lotta’ homeless people do stupid stuff right in front of us. They wanna’ git arrested so they have shelter 'n some food, even if it's in jail. Can't blame 'em, either."


Sometimes You Give a Dollar, Sometimes You Don't



The next morning, when my mom and I were flocked by young children with postcards, books, scarves and other trinkets, we bought a hat from one of the young girls because my mom had forgotten hers. It could have just as easily been the boy with the postcards. If we were to give a dollar to all the kids running around Cambodia asking for money, we might as well as forgone visiting in the first place.

I asked Mr. Kong if the overwhelming number of orphans was due to the recent civil war. These days, he said, many couples have children at a young age and find themselves unable to support the entire family. Sometimes one parent will leave the family to provide one less mouth to feed. Other times, parents give-up their child(ren) to local orphanages because of the increased likelihood that their children will be better fed and supported. There's a lot of controversy over whether this is good or not.

Mr. Kong, our driver, doesn't give money to the children. His money goes to his parents, wife, children and extended family. If he puts money aside, it's for his three children and their future education if he can afford to send them to a higher education or help them create their own business.

Later on in our trip, my mother and I saw an older tourist of indeterminable origin holding thick bundles of Cambodian Riel 2-3 inches thick. She handed out the crisp currency to the poor people lining a staircase leading up to a temple, probably US$1/person. Behind her, a local Cambodian man held more bundles. It was without a doubt an altruistic act, but made me delve into a philosophical debate again.

Mr. Kong proudly told us the stories of a local government official who was considered one of the most altruistic men in the community. The man is responsible for many schools and infrastructure that have been built to improve Siem Reap. He is renown for random acts of kindness like stopping his car at strangers' weddings and paying for post-wedding feasts.

I'm not a Mother Theresa or a Scrooge. I'm much more of an average Jane who sometimes gives and sometimes doesn't. I'm still figuring out and planning a better means of giving back to one's community whether it's the place I call home or a place I am travelling through.

Where do you stand?





Note: RENanDREW had this interesting link in their blog (Sugar and spice and a hint of sour in Siem Reap (and the Angkorian Temples)) and I thought other people might find it illuminating as well: ChildSafe International

Note: More about Cambodia and Mr. Kong in upcoming blogs

Advertisement



20th February 2013

Congratulations on blog #30...
and for your thought on beggers and things like begging. I went to Uganda in October 2008 to learn construction management in the East Africa environment...specifically how do they use the 100% plans and specifications we send them to use in construction. I learned that they only use the floor plna and do not follow the detailed desig and specifications that would ensure the structural integrity of the building. I left thinking that we were being to precise for their environment. Also anything that can use manpower rather than equipment they use manpower...to paint center lines on highways, to crush rock, etc. I'm like you in believing that giving to beggers is not the solution.
20th February 2013

Bob -- Thank you for encouraging me to get back to blogging. I've only been reading other people's blog and didn't realize how much I missed blogging until I made the time for it. It's sad, yet not altogether surprising, to know that even on a bigger scale (as in your Uganda experience), trying to give and improve things may not be the best policy. Still, so as not to be too humdrum and pessimistic, I like to think that there is some means out there that can bring about effective, positive changes through the act of giving. It's not so black and white, is it?
20th February 2013
View from Hotel

Royal Angkor Resort & Spa, room 404?
Kiva learned to swim in that very pool just a few weeks ago! ...and Kimchi for breakfast. Small world. I may even weigh in on the dollar debate when I get around to writing my own Cambodia blog a couple years from now;-)
20th February 2013
View from Hotel

Jason -- Good spot. Yes, we did stay at the Royal Angkor Resort & Spa...possibly even room 404! Congratulations for Kiva learning how to swim there. You think he might get into diving down the line? I'll look forward to your Cambodian blog . . . a couple years from now? Who would wait that long? ; )
20th February 2013

Ahh, It's been a long time coming....
Congratulations on your 30th blog!!! We've been recommending you for HoF for ages and now you are finally eligible :) Have to say that your mum is braver than me. Did have a go at that fish nibbling get up but I couldn't keep me feet in the tank for more than 5 seconds....
20th February 2013

Nick - Thank you!! I'm feeling more tickled than I did with the doctor fish for getting on the HoF. Like you, I could not keep my feet in for more than a few seconds. My mother on the other hand, as you might be able to see from her expression, became totally relaxed and meditative.
20th February 2013

Siem Reap...
On our recent trip we had very similar experiences to you in Siem Reap. It's certainly a complex little microcosm isn’t it?! Looking forward to your upcoming Cambodian blogs :)
20th February 2013

Ren, Drew, I just read your Sugar and spice blog and you had written many things that I found myself thinking too. Will comment more there. ;]
20th February 2013

Complex situation of have and have not
Really enjoyed reading your blog, loved your Mum saying she had already seen Angkor Wat via the documentary! We completely agree with you that begging and children selling things (and not being in school) is a lot more complex than having or not having money. It is very, very difficult to turn down those puppy dog eyes the kids give you when you say no, but in the end you have to do what you believe is the best thing. We don't automatically give money or things, there are many reasons why people beg and we (collective 'we' here!) cannot hope to fully understand the dynamics going on in families or between the rich/poor divide. Even living in a country which has huge levels of poverty, we have barely scratched the surface with our understanding. The answer to giving and not giving? we, like you, are still searching for it!
20th February 2013

Donna, Neil, thanks for the comment! It's indeed a very complex dilemma, isn't it? Another thing I found interesting is that the more I travel, the less I tend to give on a face-to-face begging situation and the more I tend to think about the bigger picture and how to "give" on a more effective scale. Then again, that usually involves corporations and organizations that bring in more questions, which if they're incredibly transparent shouldn't be an issue, but transparency isn't always there. If you do find an answer, please let me know!
20th February 2013

One Dollar
Interesting issue Michelle. I found less pressure in Cambodia (where I was a month ago) than some countries but the little kids were the most determined of all to make a sale. Maybe because it is harder to refuse a little kid pulling the waif or cute card, they expect success. I usually buy from someone then refuse to buy from others, feeling justified I have contributed to the local economy. I do recall the absolute pleasure on the child's face when they have scored a sale...even if it is for a meagre dollar...pleases my soul.
20th February 2013

Dave, I'm curious, where would you say you've found the greatest pressure in terms of this? I pretty much do the same as you and am also won over by their beaming faces when I do buy something, but I always dwell on their futures and the long term effect of my actions. So many of the kids are young, I also wonder what happens to the older ones.
20th February 2013

The Greatest Pressure
The greatest pressure to buy was definitely from a Maasai village in Kenya...from Maasai women...total physical assault...covering us with jewellry or masks in our faces...screaming masses...hands everywhere...totally draining experience. And Tanzania...if you buy from one...the rest hound you with the line "You have done business with him, what about me?" Makes the kids in Cambodia a picnic!
20th February 2013

Dave -- Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to go to Africa some day, but will try to prepare myself mentally when I do as I take your word on the experience.
20th February 2013

Thanks for sharing
I enjoyed reading your blog; the pictures you painted with your words, your internal debate about charities and your experiences. I work for a non-profit and I have seen all the kinds of people you talk about! We are thankful for the ones that truly want to help because they want to help. Giving a hand up is better than a hand out in our opinion. I think we all have room to learn more and to do better. Thanks for sharing!
20th February 2013

Jennifer, Johnny, thanks for reading and commenting. I agree that more times than not that "[g]iving a hand up is better than a hand out." Still, even in those instances it's not always ethically black and white--requires so much research to make sure one is not destabilizing a place, replacing local work, or having ulterior motives.
21st February 2013

premediated giving.
I gained an interesting alternative perspective returning to Cambodia with my own children, since they often became the recipients of unsolicited gift giving from tourists laden with treats. It was also intriguing visiting the floating village (Kompong Phluk) and to witness hoards of children, lined up along the banks as the tour groups would potter past in their boats tossing ramen noodle packets into the water, for the kids to dive after. I recorded pictures of kids as young as four lined up in anticipation, performing Gangnam Style! And, then there is the whole ‘children are not tourist attractions’, debate currently raging in Cambodia, concerning orphanages. Fascinating.
21st February 2013

We also went to the floating village and, I don't know if it was the same one because there weren't hoards of tourists and the locals went about doing their own thing. I saw kids jumping in water, but it was to have fun, not to perform. I've read accounts more similar to yours in other blogs as well and it's really frustrating to hear how easily children are taken advantage of. The ramen-tossing to kids . . . wow~~ I hope you write a blog about the trip sooner than two years because you must have some interesting things to share, especially from the eyes of parents traveling with your kids. I hope you did not toss a ramen pack into the pool at the Angkor resort to teach Kiva to swim!!
21st February 2013

No, there certainly are many grey areas...
What I have real problems with are charities who raise money using key words to tug at our heart strings...orphans is a big one. My daughter wanted to adopt a child through one of those organizations, with me paying the monthly contribution. In Uganda, I encountered employees of that organization driving around in the big Land Cruisers, just like the UN. This left me wondering how much was spent on overhead, and how much went to orphans, if indeed they were orphans. I investigated giving to orphans in India and in most cases they were not orphans. Only the rich could send their kids to public school (as in England...very private), but by calling the school an orphanage, thhe school owners could raise money in the West, and middle class people could send their kids free (although administrators of these schools probably charged additional tuition to get every penny they could). I try to support organizations who believe "give a man a fish, and he will have food for that day; teach a man how to fish, and he will always eat." But in many cultures, they just want to be given the fish...and we keep giving them the fish. So, like you, I seek to reform the underlying problem...and still occcasionally give that child a dollar, just for the smile; ignoring who gets that dollar in the end. However, for a real eye opener on begging, watch "Bombay Millionaire." You may never want to give a dollar again. Sorry to those TBers who work for charities for my anedotal evidence; may your charities continue to help the truly poor.
21st February 2013

Bob -- Thanks so much for sharing your and your daughter's experiences in wanting to adopt an orphan. The story about the orphanage front is disturbing and, unfortunately, another one of those situations that speaks on how charities attract those who are altruistic, but also those who are scammers. I actually looked up "Bombay Millionaire" and couldn't find it. Did you mean "Slumdog Millionaire"? I did see that and agree that the abuse and mutilation are unbelievable and still probably don't touch some of the worse harm that happens out there. I believe there are still some good non-profit organizations out there, but (like your research in India shows) they should be researched and questioned before contributing manually or financially.
21st February 2013

I think we are sisters from other mothers!
Your trip with your mother reminded me so much of travelling with my mother, had me laughing heaps. I think we should book a trip and let our mothers get to know each other and count currencies and notice McDonalds signs while we go diving....btw, I also had Korean BBQ in Siem Reap.
21st February 2013

Cindy -- Hahaha, my mother almost convinced me to go for Korean BBQ, but fortunately, Kong got her hooked on Fish Amok so she was satisfied with morning kimchi in terms of Korean cravings. I wouldn't be surprised if the BBQ was good because I've never seen that many Korean tourists outside of Korea as of yet. You and I can see how far our mothers make it out of the airport while we go explore. ;]
21st February 2013

Ooops...
yes, Slumdog Millionaire.
21st February 2013

Poverty, manipulation, charity, begging...it is not black and white
Years ago we stopped giving to United Way because the CEO was caught spending $1, 000,000 plus on his mistress. A few years went by and I decided the organization was good overall and gave again. Another scandal popped up within the organization so I've stopped giving to them permanently. My money my choice. I've wanted to donate and adopt to one of those children via one of the organizations so it was interesting to read Bob's comments. Generally, we don't give cash to beggars but on occasion when the right one does or says the "right thing" what ever that is-- like making you laugh as you stated, we find ourselves making a donation. Do we or should we wonder what they spend the money on? Does it matter if they buy a 5th of whiskey...if that is what they feel they need at the moment should we judge? When in Cambodia we were on a bus and young children were at the window begging so we opened the window and gave them a sandwich. They immediately started eating, a couple of other kids came running as they were hungry so others on the bus gave them their sandwich. That is a moment when you know you did the right thing. Knowing what to give or when to give can be difficult. You have to trust your instincts. I guess the bottom line is- if you have the money and want to give it away, then give it away. No one wants to be manipulated but sometimes that happens.
22nd February 2013

D&MJ -- It's unfortunate that in your altruism, you found that your money might have been used other than intended in quite a terrible way. I've had one friend who adopted a child in Haiti and many charities and raves about most of them, but I can't help but wonder if sometimes her good intentions may be taken advantage of than somebody who is more skeptical. I suppose the causes (as there are way too many out there) where I tend to donate or contribute are those actively preventing or increasing awareness about abuse or the sex slave industry and providing a quick response in basic needs and prevention for natural disasters. Besides those, it really is a circumstance-by-circumstance judgment as to whether I will give money or not. I think your heartfelt story about the children and the sandwich says a lot about the need out there and more direct (rather than a buck that may go to somebody else) means of helping even if it is a short term alleviation.
22nd February 2013

The deciding factor in whether I purchase or not...
In almost every case, if someone approaches me to sell something, I will immediately say no. It needs to be an exceptional circumstance for me to accept an unsolicited offer to buy any wares. This rule applies to taxi and tuk-tuk drivers too - the ones that initiate the approach are more likely to overcharge. Thus my rule is: if you want my business, I will approach you, and not the other way around. Congratulations on such a thought-provoking blog, I reckon this one will be appearing on Travelblog's Facebook page.
22nd February 2013

Shane -- Thank you for the comment. I agree with your point about taxi and tuk-tuk drivers. If there is one person who is not pressuring or bombarding us to take their ride, I tend to go with that person rather than the ones who almost come across like bullies. I know that it's competitive out there, but sometimes taking away a consumer's space and trying to force their decision is more likely to lead to a loss of a sale/ride in my opinion. In the lucky circumstance that there is somebody who is more respectful of that space and decision, I feel that they will be more enjoyable to be around in the long run, too, instead of worrying about "car salesman" mentality.
4th March 2013

Begging
I finally figured out how to open your travelog. I think the problem with giving to a beggar is you get on the sucker list. I used to be generous when charitable reps called me once or twice a year. Now my land line rings seven or eight times a day. Even though I am now terribly rude if I answer at all, the cacophony never ends. Wow! Your writing has improved. I wish I had remembered how to open your blogs sooner. "Nobody wants to be a beggar when they grow up." Christopher Walken in Dogs of War
4th March 2013

Hi Dad! Glad you liked it. I don't like charity calls either. Within this year, the times that we've given any donations is when we actually search out a specific charity and contact them or face-to-face encounters. I'm glad you accessed the blog and I'll be calling you very soon! Love, Michelle
29th May 2013

complicated
very interesting read - and you write beautifully! I agree that it's very complicated issue. In my home country Indonesia the beggars are mostly coordinated by "mafia" - very sad situation. I typically prefer giving the donation to an organization; but now reading some of them (maybe) corrupt - that worries me!

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 25; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb