Angkor Wat, another temple, some more temples, a pool on the roof o and another temple!  but the last one was a club :)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 30th 2011
Published: November 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a 5 hour bus journey discovering that indeed the guest house you had been recommended was worth the hype felt pretty good. The roof top pool being a particular highlight with dedicated massage zone on the floor below. It was also pretty nice to bump into friends we had met back in Vietnam, so we knew what we were doing that evening and that was to discover Siem Reaps night life! The first temple we discovered in Angkor was that of a bar/club called Temple Club with the loudest sound system I have ever experienced and free t-shirts with every bucket. The next day was a leisurely affair as we had decided to only watch the sunset later in the day at a popular spot on one of the hill top temples. That meant most of the day was spent lounging by the pool. Hard life I know. In the evening we jumped in a tuk tuk and followed seemingly every tourist to watch the sunset. It was very crowed at the temple and a que had formed to climb the steep stairs to the top, once tackled however the views were great and well worth it. We were in bed soon after as we had an early start and a long day ahead. Tomorrow the real temple exploring was to begin. We jumped in our tuk tuk at 4:50am half asleep hoping it was just a dream. By the time we had reached Angkor Wat the most impressive of all the temples to watch the sunrise we were a coffee up and a bit more egar to get inside and get into the best vantage spot. On the way in we agreed with a tour guide called soccer (or sownthing sounding similar) to take us round and explain the history and be our personal photographer. The sunrise was nice, the view somewhat spoilt from prefection with some unsightly scaffolding and tarpalling that was being used to repair the temple. The next 14 hours were spent looking at 6 more temples of varying size and shape, a particularly nice one 30km north of the main temple area. On the way back we stopped of at a recommend quieter place to watch the sunset and this for me was pretty magic. About 50 or so people gathered on top of a small temple all squeezing up so we could sit down and enjoy the sunset together. It felt very intermate and relaxed and it was one of the best memories I will take from the day, and from our brief time at Angkor.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb