How is Angkor Wat, NOT? A Wonder of the World


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 31st 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Meagan going for a walkMeagan going for a walkMeagan going for a walk

Don't worry. No mines here. This is at the landmine Museum.
Temples of Angkor
There is nothing like Angkor anywhere on this planet. There is over 100 temples in the Angkor area. The 12th century city covered an area of over 100 Sq Kms with a population of over 1 million.
At its core, the Great City, of Angkor Thom, is contained with high walls with huge faces carved in the gateways.
Angkor Wat; the Worlds largest religious building covers one and a half square Kms and contains more stone than was used to build the great pyramid of Giza.
Angkor Thom is is just the starting point. Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world is so big as to be hard to take in at once.
The 200metre wide moat and causeway with the 350 metre entrance portico is impressive enough, but the grandeur within its walls is truly stunning.
Over 1 kilometre of spectacular carvings lie within its outer galleries and a vast labyrinth of passages, courtyards and the five lotus flower towers at its centre.
Ta Prohm This huge temple complex looks much the same as when it was first discovered. The high lichen covered walls are distorted by the movement of the earth beneath. 800 years of history lie twisted and broken, with sinister root systems of huge trees enveloping doors and windows in a stranglehold.
The distinction between organic and non-organic become blurred in the green pallor of light from the jungle canopy. It must be one of the most atmospheric places on Earth.

We spent 2 days trecking through the temples. Spent 3 nights in Sein Reap at a very nice hotel "Mekong Angkor Palace" Well worth a look $25cdn a night also has a pool.

Cheers
Tim & Meagan


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb