Angkor Wat?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 16th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woops!
Sorry to all of you who read this baby on a regular basis... The few days in Siem Reap were nuts! Let me fill you in...
We arrived in Siem Reap Via a flight on a VERY colourful cargo plane. No joke, it was an old school cargo plane! Some what freaky and scary haha! Jodie and Julie were having a hard time with it, and i may even admit that the take off, the totally 30 min in the air and the landing were nothing short of a bumpy, different flight =P But we survived! Welcome to Cambodia folks?

That evening Jodie, Rosie, Dave, Rob and I went for dinner and some drinks. Kinda ridiculous... the boys decided that they were going to have a Cambodian BBQ... same same, but different then the one that i had in Laos with ollie forever ago, however this one was not the little built into the table BBQ, but rather the plunker on top the table kind with the burning hot coals.... Oh lordy, were we ever dripping... it looked as though we had just gotten out of the shower ha! Sick i know =P After dinn dinn, we went bar hopping on 'pub street', that is what it is literally called. I even have photographic evidence for yall. The bet place was called "Angkor Wat?" Played good music, had good booze, and good company. Then we hit the hay by 11 that night because the following day was going to be a long one...and that is where i shall take you now!

It was Friday the 13th so surly SOMETHING had to go bad for someone right? yeah well we headed out at about 8:00am and by then it was already 30 degrees and scorching hot! NOT the kinda hot that any north american is use too....by 10 it was pushing 40 degrees and i had already downed 2 water bottles... We were at the Angkor Temples. Not Angkor Wat. That is a temple with in the city of temples under the general name of just Angkor. It was amazing to see how such an ancient structure still holds, and to see them, and know that machines were not use to build them was VERY neat! I even got to see the Tomb Raider Temple. yes the one from the movie! Too cool! There are some photos that i have that you will get to see and if you have seen the movie, then you will for sure recognize them! But at about 11 i was SUPPER over heated, and i got a badddd case of heat stroke and was in bed for the remainder of the day and evening. For dinner though Rosie and i got off our butts and went for a massage and then to the Singing Tree Cafe and had some amazing veg food!... but i will continue this thought process in the AM, i am heading to meet Steve and Helen for dinner as they are in Bangkok now too!

Love love!

Anyyyways! Sorry about that, Dinner was fantastic by the way... but SUPPER $$$ for here =P Whatever!

Soo where were we?... oh yes Singing Trees and massage's.... sooo shall we continue?

That night was an early night because we were getting up at 5am to go see sunrise at Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat is the place that most people think about when they hear Angkor... it is the amazing picture with the reflection on the water...and it was 100% beautiful! I can't wait to get to HMC tomorrow and put up my pictures finally!!!!! We then toured the inside of Angkor Wat and we were back at the hotel for 8:30 breckie! Then the rest of the morning was filled with me laying by the pool reading my new book called " a Million little Pieces". For lunch i took a walk down Pub Street and found a place for a good yummy meal and for the afternoon, Erin, Julie, Rob, Dave, Milly, and Shnade and I went to the ACH (Angkor Children’s Hospital) not the Alberta Children’s folks! =P I though that was pretty funny to have the same ACH though. It was amazzzzing to see! They treat over 250 children a day, and at least 4 die a day there. And most deaths are due to dehydration, diarrhoea, and fevers... that is how not up to speed their medicine is. but it was a VERY beautiful facility.

Then on the 15th we took the LONGGGG not so bumpy anymore, bus ride back to Bangkok. You see, the road use to be full of pot holes the size of a room, but they are now fixing the road, and it seems to have helped a lot! We left at 8:30 in the morning, and got here at about 5:30 in the evening, so not too too bad. We slept most of the way though. That night we had our last group dinner and said our good byes...It really made me quite sad, because I have been with these people for over a month, and others just a week or two, but I have really met some of the most amazing people over the last month. both on my tour, and some of the locals.

That night Erin, Anne, Rob, Dave and I went to a club and had a good night of dancing and just having fun.

Yesterday Erin and I went room hunting, and found a place for 600 bhat.. that is like $12, and it has AC, TV and nice pillows, but no sheets or covers =p For the day we just really did nothing, we went to the mall; like a WAY nicer mall then we have, and i went for a pedicure =D And last night as you can see, we went for dinner with a couple that was still in town from the first 2 weeks of the tour.

Today i have yet to decide what i am going to go do, perhaps go to a movie, i dont know, but i best be off!


TTFN!

Tay


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb