Last Day in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 11th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Pre Rup Video 58 secs
For our last day in Siem Reap we decided to explore some of the outermost temples. This was to be the hottest day yet and being under the sun proved to be almost unbearable so we definately took our time exploring. Resting often under any shade we could find and consuming large amounts of bottled water. We visited Preah Khan (Sacred Sword) which is actually quite large. Thought to have been Jayavarman VII'S temproray residence. There was a unique 2 storey Grecian like structure that looked unlike anything we had seen before. We also saw Preah Neak Poan an island temple with 5 pools, alas the water here has long since dried. Ta Som was interesting with its strangler fig tree. Even though by now it was scorching we tackled the towers Eastern Mebon, and later Pre Rup. Satisfied that during our 4 days here we tackled a big chunk of the many temples in Siem Reap we said goodbye to them all and took a detour to the Silk Farm where we saw the entire process of making a silk product. From the worms being feed Mulberry leaves to the many strands of cocoon spinnings needed to make just a spool of silk. I liked the fact that Cambodians were being trained and employed in this artform I bought a wallet which I love at the end of the tour. Afterwards during dinner there was some controversy as to who owns the silk farm, I hope its Cambodian owned as so many things in Siem Reap aren't to my dismay. Oh well, I hoped some proceeds of those sales go to the workers. Finally we were done with our sightseeing and we decided to hang out till our midnight flight to South Korea where we would have a 9 hour layover before heading home. We went back to the Temple Bar with our guides. I guess it's not usual to dine and drink with your guide but at this point we considered them friends since they had shared their lifes with us and were great drivers and tour guides. We drank beer, ate and played pool. Dapri and I have no pool skills so we were unmatched for the brother duo. We had dinner at Khmer Kitchen which was really great food, I finally had Amok which is indigenous to that region. Absolutely delicioius. We taught Sang American slang and had some laughs. With full stomachs, a little too much Angkor beer for a midnight flight, we were dropped off at the airport and were sad to say goodbye. I would love to visit again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb