Sacred Mountain Phnom Kulen


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 10th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Reclining Buddha video 68 secs
2: Waterfall Video 59 secs
3: Apsara Dance Video upside down sorry 77 secs
The next day, Tuesday Sang our driver took us away from Siem Reap to the sacred Mountain of Phnom Kulen. It was here in 802 that Jayavarman II proclaimed himself a god-king and gave birth to modern day Cambodia. The road there was bumpy but it was nice to be driving deep into the jungle. Cambodians come here for the weekend and to have ceremonies. Once at the top of the peak we stopped to see Kbal Spean which is a carved riverbed referred to as the Thousand Lingas. These Hindu carvings are considered sacred. We visited the wat at the summit that has a large reclining Buddha that has been carved into the mountainside. The views of the jungle from up there are beautiful. We offered small donations of money as offerings to the people that sat outside the temple to beg. We then made our way to the waterfall that is considered sacred because its source flows over Hindu sacred carvings on the flat rock bed. Here we saw many monks from different countries on pilcrimage. I waded in the cold water and tried to photograph the sacred carvings. We then made our way down to the waterfall itself. It was beautiful, Dapri and I regretted not bringing our swimsuits. Our driver Sang got in pants and all. I rolled up my shorts and got in, although cold, it was easy to get used to. I fell asleep on the way back down the mountain how I managed that with it being so bumpy I don't know but next we went to see a Hindu temple called Banteay Srei (Citadel of the Women') It is dedicated to Shiva and it is believed to have been built by a women because its carvings are too fine and intricate to have been done by a man. We ended our day early and relaxed before we headed to dinner to watch traditional Khmer dancing at the Temple Club whose owners also operate our guesthouse. The show is free, we ordered an entree and beer while we watched many beautiful traditional dances. The movements are so delicate and detailed right down to the finger formations that are taught and mastered since childhood.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb