Siem Reap and Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
June 25th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone.

Well well where do I start, we left Bangkok on sunday morning at 8am ready to make out for Siem Reap in Cambodia. The journey was hell, if anyone has ever done this they will know what I mean! The bus to the Thai border had no air conditioning and the windows couldnt open - it was 40 deg outside are they crazy! We got ripped off at the border and charged twice the normal cost of a visa and had to fight to get our passports back, can you imagine how stressed I was?! Martyn wasnt as usual, im glad one of us in calm under these conditions! Anyway we made it to Siem Reap by 9pm that night and did what the bus driver wanted and stayed at the guest house (Hilton Angkor) he took us to, it was actually really nice and kept my blood pressure down. Only $5 for an en suite room with a lovely flushing toilet, hot shower and best of all cable TV, what a bargin!

The next day we hired a Tuk Tuk for a few hours and our lovely driver Mr Tana (who had by then decided he was going to be our ONLY Tuk Tuk driver for the duration of our stay) took us to the War Musuem. This gave Martyn an opportunity to play around with real guns that had been used in Cambodias last civil war, he was very excited. We also got to get up close and personal with a lot of tanks. Mr Tana then took us to the centre and we wandered around markets and drank the very tasty Angkor Beer at at 5% not quite as strong as Chang in Thailand but it tastes lovely! That night we went for dinner on 'bar st'and had a few drinsk but it was up early the next morning so no late night. Really liked Siem Reap, bits of it were very touristy but thats to be expected with Angkor Wat there!

So Mr Tana picked us up at 8am the next morning bound for The temples of Angkor Wat. After we paid our ($20!!) admission and got a very cool ticket with our picture on it, it was temples here we come! I wont bore everyone with telling you all about each individual temple, but we seen around 13 or 14 different ones including the most famous Angkor Wat. One of the temples, Ta Prohm is where Angelina Jolie filmed Tomb Raider, how very cool. We watched the sunset from Angkor Wat and it was beautiful although I reckon Martyn really is done with all the sunsets now! Had a really good day although it was easily 40deg and the sweat was pouring off us, we did buy fans for $1 from a very cute little girl to help cool us down!

We left Siem Reap this morning and arrived in Phnom Penh about 3pm and we decided just to stay at our hotel in Siems Reap's buddys place here which it turns out is where I stayed with Ashley 3 yrs ago- weird, huh!

I will only put up a few pictures as Martyn tells me everyone would get bored looking at the temples!

Anyway lots of Love to everyone and less than 3 weeks till home time!




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Martyn
War MuseumWar Museum
War Museum

Martyn and his AK47
War museumWar museum
War museum

Maryn and a rifle
War MuseumWar Museum
War Museum

Martyn and his rocket launcher
Angkor ThomAngkor Thom
Angkor Thom

Martyn climbing steep steps, I dont, I just take the pics!
Ta PhromTa Phrom
Ta Phrom

Where Tomb Raider was filmed


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb