Cambodia - or the one dollar question


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 11th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia and Siem Reap is always worth a trip. The temples are still impressive, despite the millions of tourists crawling over them and as in most countries in South East Asia, the people are helpful and friendly.

If you like to avoid the crowds though you have to get up earlier and earlier. After 9 am the magic is gone for the day.

Traveling in the region as a caucasian face has not only advantages though. Siem Reap and the temple area is one of the best examples. At times you feel like a walking atm machine.

Some people don't even talk to you other then with the "One Dollar" question. Specially kids seem not to know any other english words and instead of saying hi, they say: "One dollar". Having a camera in your hand as a "professional disability" does not help the case of course.

Cambodia is one of the places that rattles your heart and leaves you with mixed feelings all the way. First war & destruction destroyed the families and now AIDS and prostitution has replaced it.

Sometimes I'm not sure if the foreign help everywhere in the country is helping the people all that much (of course there are some great organizations as well), or if its just supporting an incompetent and corrupt government and their slacks' attitude. Maybe the foreign aid may help to fill the gaps where the responsible leaders just seem to relax an take advantage, again on the backs of the locals?

It's time for the country's leaders to clean up their act and to help its people to get on their feet again. Empower them, so that they finally don't have to be felt sorry for anymore. I wish for them to be able raising their hand not to ask for another dollar, but to say: Welcome to my great country, where are you from?

UPDATE:

A friend (couple) of mine is running this project in Cambodia. I think its a better way of doing it, if you feel the urge to do something. Please have a look at http://www.riverkidsproject.org/




Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb