Angkor What?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We started this morning by viewing the ruins of Angkor Wat. This is the biggest temple in the complex. This temple was made in just 34 years and its purpose was a place of worship for the king.

We have taken over 350 pictures so far! There is so much to see here and it is quite overwhelming. I thought the complex in Luxor, Egypt was the most impressive site I have seen, but this is quite close. It is amazing to me that all of this was built by hand
and every carving was done by hand with hand tools. The detail is breathtaking.

There are three levels and to get to the last level it was very narrow and steep- a 70 degree angle. We did not fall, thankfully, although on the way down a Japanese guy in front of me lost his balance slightly and swayed. I grabbed a hold of his shirt along with another guy and he was ok. Did I save a life today?

This afternoon we took a boat ride to the floating village. This is literally a village that is all house boats. There are schools, hospitals, tv repair
CarefulCarefulCareful

These steps were very narrow and not made for American's feet! Plus it's at a 70 degree angle!
shops all floating.

Tomorrow we have a day of leisure which thankfully we need. We have been starting at 8:00-12:00 and 2:30-8:00 every day. It is very hot here and they haven’t had rain in five days. The temperature is close to 104 degrees. Shops, restaurants, and even the National Museum is not air conditioned. The hallways of the hotel are not either. (Our rooms are though!) Our guide said they just got 24 hour per day electricity in the city in 1990. Before that they had electricity only from 7-10:00 pm. He said the war set them back about 100 years.

Bruce is finding it very difficult to say no to the kids here. “3 for one-dolla” “3 for one- dolla.” He lectured to us about not giving into this kids, but I think he now has a collection of 12 wooden bracelets that he has bought from each kid that approaches him.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th June 2007

Wow
Wow-Very cool.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb