What a difference a day makes


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Angkor ThomAngkor ThomAngkor Thom

Ancient capital of Cambodia
The one night in Phnom Penh was quite overwhelming and we were wondering if our decision of spending four days in Cambodia was a mistake. Bruce had gone out in town after our day of touring and said the poverty was heartbreaking. One girl was trying to fill up a canteen with water from a small puddle. Other amputees were begging and pleading for help.
We are pretty well protected in our hotel except for the fact that there was a gecko in the kid’s room and fighting monkeys outside of our hotel window. Melissa wanted a gecko as a pet so I told her she could have that one for the night should suffice.

At 7:00 am the next morning we caught a flight to Seim Reap. There seems to be optimism here that there wasn’t in Phnom Penh. There is construction everywhere here and it seems to be building into quite a resort town. Our hotel is stunning and we got an upgrade to a suite including a sitting room and a Jacuzzi 2 person tub, with a patio. Everyone here waits on you hand and foot and always greet youwith a bow and a smile. I suppose when you can have a mass amount of cheap labor, it is doable to have four doormen waiting to open the front door.

We got some laundry done in town as it was quite a bit less expensive than the hotel. I thought it was ok until we drove by later and I noticed my bra swaying on the clothes line on a sidewalk in Seim Reap!

Our first stop of the tour was Ankor Thom which was the old capital before the Siam invading the city in the 12th century. The capital was eventually overtaken by the jungle and there were trunks of trees overtaking it.

We have been very busy everyday with tours filling about 12 hours/day. However, as I say, “We can sleep at home”.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



10th June 2007

pictures
Your pictures are great. However, where's the picture of your bra?

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb