A cross over into Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Battambang
March 14th 2015
Published: March 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After crossing the border into Cambodia, we made our way to the town of Battambang set in lush country side with hill top temples and hidden caves. The main town has the Sangeer river which runs through it, essential to the locals and people living in this area. Our accommodation here cost 9 dollars a night (flashpackers) and was a huge high rise hotel looking out onto the city. Complete with a double bed, proper shower cubicle and bathroom and a balcony. Not bad considering the price we paid. Our first night consisted of sampling the local food (Khmer) and having an explore before hitting the hey.

For our first day in Battambang we organised a day tour with a tuc tuc driver named Titi, we thought this was best considering our push for time and lack of knowledge for the area. We began the morning with a visit to the crocodile farm, the farm was the complete opposite of what I was expecting it was more of a garden with pools and croc huts built within it. The lady that owns it said she has over 300 crocs. We were allowed to just take a walk around and observe these reptiles from purpose built walkways above the enclosure. It was a very hot morning so most of the crocs seemed to be sleeping. After a little walk over some unsteady walkways (one slip could be fatal), there was an opportunity to hold a baby croc, it was my first experience of handling a baby crocodile and enjoyed doing it, however strange it felt. The next stop was a tourist hot spot, The Bamboo Train is one of the world’s all-time classic rail journeys. The train consist of a 3m wooden frame, covered with slats made of ultralight bamboo that rest on two barbell like bogies with a belt driven engine to power the thing. The experience was incredible with a few cushions to sit on and nothing to hold onto we rumbled along about 15 kmh taking in beautiful countryside and crossing old bridges left by the French.

We went onto our next activity, Cambodian wine is not something I have really thought about or even heard of but we had the opportunity to see some vines and sample the drinks made by the grapes. One drink was a sweet dessert styled wine and the other just a plain red one, not the nicest I have had but a good experience all the same. Back in the tuc tuc we went and travelled further round Battambang, along the way we tried traditional Cambodian food which consisted of sticky coconut rice and black beans wrapped up in bamboo, a bit of a job to get into but tasty.

The Temple Banan has exactly 358 stone steps leading up to 11th century Wat Banan. The views at the top of the climb were outstanding looking out to the country side. At the top five towers stand with Buddhist relics and incense burning within them. The climb however was extremely draining especially in the heat, coming down was a challenge in its self as the steep slope and big steps made it hard to keep steady.

The final stop of the tour was too Phnom Sampeau a large mounted situated 12km southwest of Battambang, a complex of temples are located here with some outstanding views to enjoy too. Between the summit a deep canyon and stairs descend through a natural arch to a lost world, filled with stalactites, creeping vines and bats. The killing caves of Phnom Sampeau can be found half way down the mountain. Here we followed a staircase leading to a cavern where a golden reclining Buddha lies peacefully, a glass memorial is situated here too, which has some of the bones a skulls of the people that died from the Khmer Rouge bludgeoning them and then throwing them from the mountain.

Overall our time in Battambang was a great and educational experience our next move was to take the riverboat to Siem Reap and the Temples of Angkor!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb