Tomb Raider


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
May 17th 2016
Published: May 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Feeling a lot better when I woke so today is the day we visit Angkor Wat. A tropical storm started just before we left so the 30 minute ride in the tuk tuk was more of an adventure. Built about 800 years ago this collection of temples takes up 400 square kilometres and was a city of 1 million people at a time when London was just 50,000 people. It was lost to the jungle and forgotten about and was rediscovered by the French in 1860.
After buying our entry passes we first went to the Angkor Wat temple itself. It has the scale of the pyramids but with much greater levels of intricacy and decoration and it was in surprisingly. The rain meant that there were far fewer visitors than normal and we quite enjoyed getting soaked as it was cooling.
We then moved onto Ta Phrom temple, which is overgrown with buttress trees and was used in the Tomb Raider film. We'd been recommended to show the film to the kids as it would make the ruins more exciting and it did just that as Hat skipped ahead. With the lightening and thunder it made these ruins quite an adventure.
Back at the hotel we all freshened up before heading out to the orphan charity restaurant which served such tasty food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb