On Your Bike


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I am a bit tired of sweating today, so I am not spending so much times on my bike in the great outdoors, in the tropical sun and temperatures between35 and 40 degrees Celsius. And I need to tell you what I wear to keep the sun off my pale sun-prone skin! Double layers of black long sleeved cotton, long loose cotton trousers, safari cap with sides, black veil over that, and gloves and sunglasses. I carry a lot of water, some worn on my body, and more in my backpack, and basket of the crappy bike.
Even then too many hours out there can cause a headache, even if one is constantly rehydrating.
Yesterday I noticed that the skin on my inner thighs was chafing by the end of the day, so badly that I could hardly ride the bike back to the guest house. It is the combination of sweating, wet clothing, and friction.
I kept going of course as it was getting dark and riding a bike without lights in the dark on Cambodian roads, where there are no rules, is no mean feat.
I got under tourist police escort one evening without asking and two of them followed on white traffic-police motorbikes, one at the rear and one at the side. I guess that they did not want me splattered and a lot of that goes on here I have since found out. Foreigners are not allowed to rent motorbikes, that is how bad it must be.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb