Angkor Wat pt.2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
June 27th 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Continuing our adventure through the temples....we proceeded to the outlying regions on Friday. Hinda drove us about 50 km north of Angkor Wat on flat paved roads through farmlands and small towns...beautiful countryside scenery, until we reached Banteay Srei, aka the Citadel of the Women--as recent as 1993 it was mined by the Khmer Rouge. It's a small temple known for it's intricate carvings and dedication to women.

We then drove another 15 km on flat dusty roads through more remote farmlands to a site called Kbal Spean, aka - River of 1000 lingas.
Here we got off and took a small 30 minute hike to a famous stream and small waterfall. The stream is considered holy as the riverbed of the stream was ornately carved with "lingas," small little half-domed shapes. But now, most of the stream was stripped of the famous lingas by locals selling them off. It was still a very cool place...it was nice to take a small trek through the jungle filled with butterflies and then take a dip in the small "holy" waterfall. We also got to chat with Hinda and get to know more about him and his background.

Our last day of our Angkor Wat pass was spent watching the sunrise. A little disappointing as the number of tourists around was just crazy; that and the view wasn't all that spectacular. It would have been better to either get in the hot-air balloon that was there, or watch at some other remote temple where less people were at. Nonetheless, Angkor Wat at sunrise is a wonder not to be missed.

Our good deed for the month was giving blood to the local hospital of Siem Reap. And like our report cards of the past...Brooke and I both have A+ blood 😊
MS


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Hinda, BB & ButterflyHinda, BB & Butterfly
Hinda, BB & Butterfly

See if you can find Hinda's special friend....he/she actually stayed on Hinda for, i swear, 30 minutes or more...sometimes moving around, but all the while walking.
River of 1,000 LingasRiver of 1,000 Lingas
River of 1,000 Lingas

If you look closely, you can see the lingas on the riverbed...at one time the riverbed was covered in lingas. very cool.
A+A+
A+

It doesn't matter where you give blood in the world...you always get a free shirt....extra large.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb