Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 15th 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to see Angkor Wat - one of the seven wonders of the world, as well as the biggest religious building in the world. The reason that Angkor Wat is so special is hard to explain, so I will not say too much about it. I do have many pictures though.

Angkor Wat was built over a thousand years ago (took 500 years to build) by the mighty Khmer Empire. This empire controlled most of Asia, and built Angkor as the religious/cultural center. Angkor is a cluster of massive stone temples that spread out over 20 kms. Each Temple has its own meaning, but none are as impressive as the main temple - Angkor Wat. These temples are so huge, that they rival the pyramids in egypt. Angkor is completley made of stone that is covered in fine engravings that have lasted for a thousand years.

The Khmer empire fell in the 1400's and the temples were forgotten about - until a french explorer rediscovered them in the deep jungle of Cambodia. The constant war and turmoil that has been present in Cambodia for the past many years has prevented Angkor Wat from becoming as famous as it deserves to be, but this is quickly changing as more and more people are able to marvel at the architecture of these temples.

We spent the day at Angkor in a Tuk Tuk. The driver showed us around for the day, and waited as we looked inside and climbed all of the temples/ruins. We noticed that many of the statues were missing heads. The reason why is because the Khmer Rouge (evil communist party that commited genocide for years) chopped them off! They were trying to supress any form of worship - they were the gods. The only reason why they wouldn't blow the entire place up is because the amunition was too important for them.

I had my camera stolen, so I lost all of my pictures from Angkor Wat. Fortunatley I had friends with me though, so I can use theirs. Take a look at the pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

On top of the worldOn top of the world
On top of the world

notice how far below the ground is. It is amazing how they hauled the huge rocks this high!
ElephantsElephants
Elephants

some people did elephant tours of Angkor Wat
MonkMonk
Monk

There were many monks visiting Angkor Wat
Looking out from templeLooking out from temple
Looking out from temple

It was really cool to walk around in the temples, especially when you are 500 feet above the ground.
Little GirlLittle Girl
Little Girl

She was trying to sell us postcards
Looking downLooking down
Looking down

Each step was about 2-3 feet high - and super steep!
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

The Temple from a distance
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Looking down hallway


21st October 2005

Great pics
You look like your having a great time. Keep it up .

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb