Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
December 5th 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ankor Wat at SunriseAnkor Wat at SunriseAnkor Wat at Sunrise

It was an early start but worth it!!
After much deliberation we decided - yep we will head to Cambodia, and we were so glad we did!! The country is amazing and the people are so lovely!

Thetrip overthe border was quite an experience and we were so lucky not to get ripped off and actually get ataxi at the otherside to do the 3 hour trip through arough ass dirt track!!fun! The journey was beautiful past lush green farmland, rice paddies and people manually working the fields, rice out to dry on the side of the road and gorge water buffalo's pulling ploughs along!!

Siem Reap was much nicer than we anticipated! But what a shock whentrying to crosstheroads, we had been warned about it....that you had no chance of crossingif you wiated, you had to basically just step out and walk ataconstant speed and the vehicles would go around you,,,scary when you first do it, but fun after a couple of attempts!!

We gota tuk tuk at 5am to Angkor Wat and oh what a top day it was!!Sun rise was amazing! Then insidethetemple was beautiful, such intricate detailed walls. I even managed to get peed on by a bat that was up oneofteh famous temple towers!!mmm!

We did a tour around to Angkor Thom, Penh Kahn, Thommanom, ChanSay Tevoda, Ta Kao, Ta Phrom and Bantaey Kdei - wow!!! Our fave hadto be Penh Kahn because of the amazing sight of massive trees growing on the temple!!!wow! We could only spare a day, but sure you could spend several exploring the temples!We braved some street stalls and had food withthe lacls - was gorgeous!

Then we got the locals bus overto Phnom Penh, pretty manic city but weirdly quite enjoyed it, quite exhausting though...crossingthe roads!! We managed to find S21 by foot amidst the residential surroundings, what a sight!! The atrocities that went on there was amazing, there were even blood stains still evident on the floor from all of the torturingthat went on!!! So sad!! Then we went over to the KillingFields and were horrified at the mass graves andthe clothing was still being unearthed under foot - horrible!

After quite a traumatic day we hada few beers and hada chilled out market day (hmm) the next day, saw the deep fried spiders, grubs, pigsfaces etc etc....

We would have loved to have stayed in Cambodia for longer, such a beautiful place, great people but North Vietnam was waitingfor us!!! So offwe trekked on the tourist bus overto Saigon (HCMC), Vietnam.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Temples around Siem ReapThe Temples around Siem Reap
The Temples around Siem Reap

We're such brave explorers


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb